Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #1  

thinggy42

Tractor
Hey guys
First time posting here and I really need some help!
We have quite a steep block of land. Around 5 acres with the steepest part being 40 degrees or so.

I recently purchased a John Deere 4105 with a FEL to do some hobby farming / mowing. There were a few delivery delays for the FEL so at first I only had the tractor. She worked like a charm and I managed to mow all the lawn and get started ripping / tilling. FEL arrived and the whole dynamic changed.

It feels like the tractor actually has trouble going up the hill now? A lot more revs required and she seems unstable.

I'd never driven a tractor before but hydrostatic was simple enough. Did a good 30 hours before the FEL. I had no idea about counterweighting on the first day with the FEL and this happened ( photos )

I didn't get hurt but **** was I shaken up. The FEL is large at 6 foot and the path I cut was only 5 so it didn't fit lowered. I raised it and it just tipped forward.

I thought the ripper would be enough counterweight but it wasn't. The tyres arnt filled either as some have suggested.

I don't want to add so much counterweight the tractor has more trouble going up the slopes?
Its a skid steer loader so ive been dropping it when going on the slopes so ive been hesitant to fill the tyres.

What do you guys recommend??
How much weight should i put at the back?

Attachments

• IMG_0074-2.jpg
    IMG_0074-2.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 5,110
  • IMG_0076-2.jpg
    IMG_0076-2.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 7,171
  • IMG_0079-2.jpg
    IMG_0079-2.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 4,937
   / almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #2  
...What do you guys recommend??
You really don't have *any* counter weight to speak of... Fill the tires with fluid - at least half way and use a lot more weight on the back- 500 lbs minimum.

Use the 6' wide bucket and cut that slope wider and dump the dirt at the bottom of the hill to make it less steep (actually, I would cut into the slope more... dumping / compacting the dirt at the bottom).

Don't worry about the tractor "working" more to get up the hills - it should do it with no problems as long as you are in the correct gear.

That seems like a pretty big 4in1 bucket - is that the correct size for that tractor?

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #3  
I imagine you are going to get lots of replies, but at first blush, it does appear that you were carrying the bucket higher than needed. That looks like a heavy four-way bucket, so you obviously are going to need more weight on the back. Was the bucket empty? If so, you are really going to be light when you are actually carrying something.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #4  
Hey guys
First time posting here and I really need some help!
We have quite a steep block of land. Around 5 acres with the steepest part being 40 degrees or so.

I recently purchased a John Deere 4105 with a FEL to do some hobby farming / mowing. There were a few delivery delays for the FEL so at first I only had the tractor. She worked like a charm and I managed to mow all the lawn and get started ripping / tilling. FEL arrived and the whole dynamic changed.

It feels like the tractor actually has trouble going up the hill now? A lot more revs required and she seems unstable.

I'd never driven a tractor before but hydrostatic was simple enough. Did a good 30 hours before the FEL. I had no idea about counterweighting on the first day with the FEL and this happened ( photos )

I didn't get hurt but **** was I shaken up. The FEL is large at 6 foot and the path I cut was only 5 so it didn't fit lowered. I raised it and it just tipped forward.

I thought the ripper would be enough counterweight but it wasn't. The tyres arnt filled either as some have suggested.

I don't want to add so much counterweight the tractor has more trouble going up the slopes?
Its a skid steer loader so ive been dropping it when going on the slopes so ive been hesitant to fill the tyres.

What do you guys recommend??

OK first off is how much counterweight, you manual should tell you, but for that size tractor I would estimate 750 to 1000 lbs, and I would load the tires also. WW fluid/methonol or RV antifreeze or RimGuard . Now as for the loss of power while going up steep hills. Well lets talk hydro ranges.. First of all HI range is ONLY for flat ground and hi speed transport of the tractor unloaded. MED can be used for a lot of work, but if it is steep then LOW range is where you will stay. when going up a big hill rev it up to at least 2000 or more, and if the revs start to drop let off of the hydro pedal to go up the hill faster and easier.. thats right I said back off of the pedal and watch the revs climb. If you push down more on the pedal and the revs are falling you are not going to go any faster by pushing down more on the pedal, it is not an accelerator pedal it controls the angle of the swash plate in the hydro. Think of it as variable gearing if you like. So if you were going up a steep hill in MED or even HI and it was bogging down. Go up that hill in LOW. Good luck

James K0UA

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #5  
Want more ballast? Buy a backhoe.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #7  
You do have the tractor back down on the 4 tires, right? Have you started it yet? Any problems?
You're lucky you didn't roll to the side with those front tires turned like that.

Add that 3PH weight...at least 600 lbs (270 kg) MINIMUM!
I'd also go with the loaded rear tires, but be advised that's more for stability then counterweighting the loader...but it does help some.
Adding weight isn't going to slow down the tractor, but that doesn't mean you don't want to slow down on slopes! Or up slopes...and across slopes!

BTW, You wrote:
You should not be having any problems going up a reasonable slope (30 degrees or so) if you're in the right range and using the right pedal pressure. If you're in high range (the 4105 has two ranges, IIRC), use low range. And don't mash the pedal flat like you would in your car or truck...

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #8  
Can't beat what James and others have said, proper weight distribution is essential to use the FEL safely and efficiently; less weight on the back then less on the front and carry you bucket as low as practical. Sometimes this may be a foot or less and don't get in a hurry going down in case you need to drop the bucket. With time, you will learn how fast you can go and use the settings, weight, speed etc. properly. Until then, go slow and learn.

I have fluid and 1000+ on my 3PH for our L5030 and even with that, there are some sections I back down.

Glad you weren't injured and don't beat yourself up too bad, most of us have had OH HECK moments.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #9  
All I can say is you are lucky!

You should have bought a lottery ticket as soon as you got off that tractor

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #10  
WOW!

If those pictures aren't a good case for rear ballast I don't know what is!

I am glad you and your machine is OK:thumbsup: