3-Point Hitch Lift Arm

/ Lift Arm #1  

crazyhorsebryan

Tractor
white 1370
Have a 1974 Oliver 1370 (new to tractors) The problem I am having is that the lift arms appear too long. I had to get an extra-long top link and extend it out all the way to get my flail mower "almost" level. The top link won't extend further to actually level the mower properly. The lift arms appear stock. Am I missing something? I can't believe all others have to but an extra-long top link for their 3 pt. Do I need shorter lift arms and would this effect the lift of my 3 pt.?

Thanks
Crazyhorse

/ Lift Arm #2  
Crazyhorse,

The lift arms on my tractor will extend about 3 or 4 " by pulling a pin in the top of the arm near the pivot. This is to make it easier to hook up three point implements. When using the implement, the lift arm ends must be withdrawn (not extended). I do not know when the manufacturers started adding this feature, but my tractor is about 12 years old now. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the ends to retract back into place.

Hope this helps

Tim

/ Lift Arm #4  
Is your Oliver a Catgory II 3-pt hitch? Sometimes that alters adjustment. YOu can probably buy a longer top link at a local hardware/tractor supply store.

/ Lift Arm #5  
Tractordata.com lists it as a Cat I/II 3PH. Which is probabally why the arms are longer.

What size is the "eye" in the lift arm??? or is it the ones with two sizes??

And what size is your toplink hole??

Cat I should be 7/8" lower pins and 3/4" toplink pin
Cat II should be 1-1/8" lower and a 1" TL pin.

Some tractors, like a JD2040 we had, had LONGER cat II lower arms, but only a cat I sized TL hole. It was the same as you are describing. Cat II Toplinks are normally a good bit longer than a cat I. So cusing a cat I TL due to the smaller holes made it a PITA to get things level without the TL comming appart.

/ Lift Arm
Hey Thanks..

This is exactly the problem I am having. The lift arms appear Cat.II 5/8 thick 2 1/2" wide BUT the top link is cat. I. Even with an extra long top link I can't level it out with over-extending the top link. A true PITA. What I need is a top link with 6-8" more. Any/all "extra long" top links are all a tad too short. I can still run my flail mower but it's not quite level.

Crazyhorse

/ Lift Arm #7  
Hey Thanks..

This is exactly the problem I am having. The lift arms appear Cat.II 5/8 thick 2 1/2" wide BUT the top link is cat. I. Even with an extra long top link I can't level it out with over-extending the top link. A true PITA. What I need is a top link with 6-8" more. Any/all "extra long" top links are all a tad too short. I can still run my flail mower but it's not quite level.

Crazyhorse

The dimensions of the lift dont tell wether it is cat II or not. My kubota has MASSIVE cat I lift arms compared to old tractors with cat I.

WHAT SIZE IS THE PIN HOLE? That will tell you weather it is cat I or II. And what size are the TL pin holes???? Is it possible you are using a CAT I toplink with 3/4" pin holes and your tractor is actually a CAT II with 1" holes??

Honestly, I dont even have a good handle on this CAT I/II thing:confused: Perhaps someone can enlighten me??? But I see agrisupply sells a CatI/II TL, yet I only see one set of holes. So is it 3/4" or 1":confused2: Top Link 16 Long Cat. 1& 2

And just to be clear, when you said you are using an extra long TL, are you refering to one like this Extra Long Top Link Category 1 - 0267725 | Tractor Supply Company with a 20" long body????? And if so, how much longer do you need it to be??

You may have no choice but to take it to a weld shop (or DIY) and have it lengthened.

Also, Is the flail mower cat I or II??

/ Lift Arm #8  
What size is the "eye" in the lift arm??? or is it the ones with two sizes??

The eye is the swivel ball on each end of the lift arm. The distance is measured from the center to center of the ball or eye.

/ Lift Arm #9  
The eye is the swivel ball on each end of the lift arm. The distance is measured from the center to center of the ball or eye.

What I was wanting to know is what size the hole through the ball eye IS.

1-1/8 = CAt II
7/8= Cat I

Thats for the lower arms.

The TL would be

3/4 = cat I
1" = cat II

/ Lift Arm #10  
Perhaps the OP could post us some pictures of his set-up??????