Rust Killer

/ Rust Killer #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
When I took my suitcase weights off for the summer I noticed the bracket they hang on had a layer of rust on it. I cleaned most of the rust off with a wire brush and an abrasive wheel on a drill.
I picked up a Loctite product at TSC that supposed to seal the rust in.
I put down 2 coats and the next next morning the rust was colored black. 2 coats of rustoleum black paint and it looks good as new. Will have to see how long it lasts.
Rust Converter Spray, Extend Rust Neutralizer from Loctite Adhesives

/ Rust Killer #2  
That is good to know about! Thanks!

/ Rust Killer #3  
yes. will have to see how long it lasts. please keep us posted as i always run into something that looks good at first, but doesn't last long and makes me feel like i wasted my time and money making it look good the first time and it doesn't last. usually i resort to a film covering of used waste oil. that does work, but i am looking for a better way.

/ Rust Killer #4  
Based solely on what I read on the Hotrodders forums, all this stuff does is turn the top layer of rust black. It doesn't remove it, it doesn't do anything to the rust underneath that layer and consequently doesn't stop further rusting. Supposedly the only way to really stop rust is to abrade the surface and seal with epoxy and then paint.