Silver Member

Default Mower oil issue

So after sitting for the season my 6ft flail mower had milky oil. Drained it. Could I have just burned it off? Replaced with hydro transmission oil cause I am really low on oils right now. Ran it for a few minutes with the plan on draining it for something better, just wanted to get all the moisture out. A little wasteful, I know. Did I do the wrong thing? What should I put back in, or would that work? I am thinking the stuff in there is a little heavy. ?

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: Mower oil issue

Quote Originally Posted by PioneerMan View Post
    So after sitting for the season my 6ft flail mower had milky oil. Drained it. Could I have just burned it off? Replaced with hydro transmission oil cause I am really low on oils right now. Ran it for a few minutes with the plan on draining it for something better, just wanted to get all the moisture out. A little wasteful, I know. Did I do the wrong thing? What should I put back in, or would that work? I am thinking the stuff in there is a little heavy. ?
    What's the owners manual call for? Most of these type gearboxes use a GL-5 gear oil SAE 80W90 or 80W140, etc. The water gets in there from condensation( assuming you have the fill plug screwed on and the seals are good). It can vaporize off if used for long periods of time where the oil gets hot but it will come back if it's sits for a long period of time.

Tractor
    New Holland 345D shuttle, Rayco RG-50, Rayco RG-1642, Southern Tractor (Hinomoto) E-280

Default Re: Mower oil issue

The milk is alot of water where water does not belong. Change it and make sure your vent is not taking in rain water.