Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    for Cristmas 2011 found used Joh Deere 670 w/ 40 hrs and options

Quote Originally Posted by 90cummins
    I use Peltor also but no tunes.
    I prefer to hear everything that the machine is doing with no distractions.
    My brother bought me a set of Elvex, QuieTunes ear muffs with AM/FM head phones. They are comfortable and they radio is great. I also use my iPod with these (no radio) or my forestry helmet. It's great.
    Ron JD 670
    Found used JD670 with 40 hrs barned with FEL, 5' Rake, 7' Blade, 9" X 3' Rankin Auger.
    Have added Box Blade, RM, Forks, plus some blood sweat and tears.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240HST

Default Re: Hearing protection for noisy tractors. Worktunes Etc.

I have owned the Stihl/Peltor ones for about a year and use them for both tractor and general landscaping use. They work reasonably well but the tuner is not great. I am thinking about upgrading to these which allow "normal" sounds through.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-M2RX7A-...JS/ref=lh_ni_t
    Kubota L3240HST, LA724 FEL, 72" bucket, snow plow, Loader Buddy, Bradco Pallet Forks, Stoll 4in1, EA Grapple, Leinbach 72" pine straw rake, GroundWorks brush forks and Kubota L series ballast box.
    ---------------------------
    Ferris Evolution 52" ZTR
    --------------------------
    Stihl stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    I dont know if they'll fit a stihl helmet or not. The wire connecting the 2 earcups isnt removable. You could take the helmet suspension out, install the wire with the cups attached, then reinstall the suspension.

If Peltor muffs will fit, then i imagine these could be adapted, carefully... especially considering that these ones were $100 lol.

edit:
    Looking at the Stihl website, the "Forestry Helmet System" appears to have the same muffs as mine, minus the radio. The "wire" frame mount for the cups looks very similar. Id say its doable.

Forestry Helmet System - Protective Head & Ear Gear | STIHL

It is not readily doable... I've tried!

We wear either a Stihl/Peltor forestry helmet or a Worktunes headset for all machine use.
    I am on my third Worktunes set- the wires connecting the two muffs are fragile and tend to short out after hard use, so the muffs become mono instead of stereo.
    Luckily, you can find Worktunes around here for $50 or less (yellow, and without the "Stihl" name- they are identical other than that, as confirmed at Stihl dealer).

I actually wear the full helmet set-up while on the tractor for some jobs (where rough ground might knock my head into the ROPS, or mowing might throw debris into an eye).
    Like someone stated, you can use your MP3/Ipod with earbuds underneath those speaker-less muffs.
    The forestry helmets last a long time- we have replaced muff components and face screens on them, but not much else.

We trained our kids to wear hearing protection for pretty much anything with a motor (but without a cab).
    I know several folks who wore their required hearing protection at work, but ruined their hearing at home through less-than-faithful use of muffs or plugs.

Getting off of soapbox now.
    Branchchipper

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by Branchchipper View Post
    It is not readily doable... I've tried!

We wear either a Stihl/Peltor forestry helmet or a Worktunes headset for all machine use.
    I am on my third Worktunes set- the wires connecting the two muffs are fragile and tend to short out after hard use, so the muffs become mono instead of stereo.
    Luckily, you can find Worktunes around here for $50 or less (yellow, and without the "Stihl" name- they are identical other than that, as confirmed at Stihl dealer).

I actually wear the full helmet set-up while on the tractor for some jobs (where rough ground might knock my head into the ROPS, or mowing might throw debris into an eye).
    Like someone stated, you can use your MP3/Ipod with earbuds underneath those speaker-less muffs.
    The forestry helmets last a long time- we have replaced muff components and face screens on them, but not much else.

We trained our kids to wear hearing protection for pretty much anything with a motor (but without a cab).
    I know several folks who wore their required hearing protection at work, but ruined their hearing at home through less-than-faithful use of muffs or plugs.

Getting off of soapbox now.
    Where was the problem with adapting the worktunes to the stihl helmet? Was the connecting cord too short? Or something else?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Where was the problem with adapting the worktunes to the stihl helmet? Was the connecting cord too short? Or something else?
    Sounds almost like it was the cheap cord connecting them. If that is the case, some quality time with a soldering iron and some better (longer/heavier) wire would work wonders... I would be willing to try it if anyone has a set that I could experiment on.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Sounds almost like it was the cheap cord connecting them. If that is the case, some quality time with a soldering iron and some better (longer/heavier) wire would work wonders... I would be willing to try it if anyone has a set that I could experiment on.

Aaron Z
    Id send you mine... but im pretty happy with them as is.

I will say the cord isnt the greatest. Its almost like phone cord. The jacket is quite stiff. I can see why it wouldn't hold up to long term abuse

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk

Quote Originally Posted by K7LN View Post
    I guess it's just me, but I can't see putting on ear muffs to cut the noise and then have a radio on which has to overcome the noise that gets through. It seems a little counterproductive. And who wants to listen to the garbage that's on the radio anyway?
    Wow and I thought I was the odd man out thinking this. Glad to know there are other normal people . Don't you hate the adverts that seem to scream at you every minute and those "drive time" announcers who think they are funny and witty but are really just plain boring. So to answer the original question I just use heavy duty industrial ear muffs.
    Last edited by zonta223; 06-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

I really like the worktunes, mine have the jack and I just clip one of those tiny ipods to the headphones. Works great until I work longer than I have stuff to listen to loaded then get to repeat it all again
    Rick

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by tungularafishcamp View Post
    I really like the worktunes, mine have the jack and I just clip one of those tiny ipods to the headphones. Works great until I work longer than I have stuff to listen to loaded then get to repeat it all again
    I do almost the same. I have a pair of 'Howard Leight Thunder 29" earmuffs that I put the speakers part of a set of cheap headphones into and I clip an ipod shuffle that i was given (had lost its mind and needed to be wiped) onto the band that goes across the top. Works great for me.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

I like to listen to the ball game while mowing. It is on a local AM station. I use the AM receiver on my wifes old walk-man. It only comes in when when going in certain directions and blanks out totally in some areas. The station is only 4 miles away ! I would like to get a worktunes but am reluctant to spend the moey because it might not be any better. Does anyone know of one with a good AM receiver ??

gg
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123