Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL

Default Bucket on while bus hogging?

I'll be transporting my JD 3520 With FEL and Frontier RC 1060 on my 18 foot trailer on Tuesday for a bushhogging job.

With the bucket attached the whole unit will fit on the trailer with the wheel of the cutter hanging over the front about 1.5-2 ft.
    It doesnt cause a problem while turning I just like to have everything inside the trailer.

Bucket off I can fit the whole unit inside the trailer.

My question is do I need the bucket on for ballist and stability or am I ok without it.

I tend to think I would need it on but this is my first job away from home with the RC. There is a slope on the property that I need to really study before I venture out. The whole area is on a commercial property and the slope comes of the parking lot and then flattens out.

I wouldn't give this slope a second thought with the JD 4010 but I know these CUT's are tippy so I'm being extra careful.

I'm cutting the lawn there tomorrow and I think I'll go back there on the mower and check it out and get a feel for it.

Thanks
    JD3520 eHydro, 300CX FEL, Frontier RB 1172 6', Frontier CA2060E, Frontier RC 1060, LandPride FSP 1000 3pt Spinner Spreader, Leibach 6' Disc, Leibach 2 bottom plow, Ford 5' 3pt finish mower, Kubota ZD-28, Gravely 14 hp 50" walk behind, Stihl Trimmers and Pruners, Diamond 18' Landscape Trailer, 13' High Side trailer, 2001 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4, 2000 Chevy 1500 Z71, JD4010, 3210 Bush Hog 10' Rotary Cutter

IF YOU DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE YOU"LL GET WHAT YOU"VE ALWAYS GOTTEN.

Tractor
    JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL

Default Re: Bucket on while bus hogging?

Title should be bushhogging not bus hogging.
    JD3520 eHydro, 300CX FEL, Frontier RB 1172 6', Frontier CA2060E, Frontier RC 1060, LandPride FSP 1000 3pt Spinner Spreader, Leibach 6' Disc, Leibach 2 bottom plow, Ford 5' 3pt finish mower, Kubota ZD-28, Gravely 14 hp 50" walk behind, Stihl Trimmers and Pruners, Diamond 18' Landscape Trailer, 13' High Side trailer, 2001 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4, 2000 Chevy 1500 Z71, JD4010, 3210 Bush Hog 10' Rotary Cutter

IF YOU DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE YOU"LL GET WHAT YOU"VE ALWAYS GOTTEN.

Elite Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Bucket on while bushhogging?

Personally, if this is a new job, I would do what you can to have the bucket on. The bucket could be kept low to hit objects before the cutter does. If there is a wet area, you can use the curl to get unstuck. Can you put the bucket in the back of the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS Inc View Post
    Title should be bushhogging not bus hogging.
    Yup those buses full of pigs will be wizzed that we aren't taking about all the fun they are having.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

If you are mowing a slope your tractor will be a lot less top heavy with the loader off. Loader mounts are above the axle.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Mahindra 4110

Just personal preference but I keep my bucket on for several reasons. One - it helps offset the weight of my cutter on the back and takes a little of the bounce out when cutting at speed, two - in unfamiliar territory I'll roll the bucket back all the way and lower it pretty close to the ground to find potentially hazardous items before I run over them, three - you've got a handy place to throw those potentially hazardous items/rocks etc. if you so desire to rid the place of them as you go. I also find that with the bucket low to the ground it helps a little with the center of gravity when doing inclines on my tractor, especially helpful when using 4 wheel drive with that extra weight on the front wheels too. Now the bucket could be a hinderance to you if you're not used to cutting close to things with it on, especially in new territory and it does cut your visibility slightly so it may not suit you to have it on. You'll just have to weight the options and go for it !!
    2001 Mahindra 4110, FEL w/5' & 6' QA buckets & forks for the 5', 6' Atlas boxblade, older 6' Howse rotary, Leinbach 7300 PHD w/9" & 12", MF 2/3 bottom plow, 20"x6' bog disc, KK subsoiler, KK middlebuster, Kubota BL60C 5' tiller, Maschio 6' finish mower.

Tractor
    2010 GC2610

^^ what he said.
    2010 MF GC2610--MF60"MMM--King Kutter XB 4' rotary cutter-- 4' King Kutter XB boxblade-- Ratchet Rake-- Check that parking brake

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    If you are mowing a slope your tractor will be a lot less top heavy with the loader off. Loader mounts are above the axle.
    I don't know if this is the whole story. Where the loader attaches to the tractor is not as important as where the bucket and any load in the bucket is positioned. The attachment point is just the fulcrum point for the load of the loader bucket and arms. Lower the bucket down and the tractors COG moves forward and down. raise it up high and the COG moves higher and to the rear. Running with a loader bucket just above the ground should add net weight to the front of the tractor and give it a COG (center of gravity) that is lower and forward of where it would be with the loader off the machine.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330, 6 rear remotes

as above...and, I believe design puts the "fulcrum" at the CG

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    I don't know if this is the whole story. Where the loader attaches to the tractor is not as important as where the bucket and any load in the bucket is positioned. The attachment point is just the fulcrum point for the load of the loader bucket and arms. Lower the bucket down and the tractors COG moves forward and down. raise it up high and the COG moves higher and to the rear. Running with a loader bucket just above the ground should add net weight to the front of the tractor and give it a COG (center of gravity) that is lower and forward of where it would be with the loader off the machine.
    With all due respect it just doesn't work that way. Fulcrum point has nothing to do with it. Weight above the axle is weight above the axle.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast