i have a ford 871 SOS need temp help

/ i have a ford 871 SOS need temp help #1  

pbpimp06

Tractor
ford 871
live in texas weather is starting to get hot agin and the temp gauge isn't working on the tractor its a 172 cubic inch diesel tractor supply has 2 diff ones but i do not know what the temp is suppose to be on it any input would be greatly appreciated thanks chris

/ i have a ford 871 SOS need temp help #2  
It's just my opinion, but I would get the gauge with the higher temperature range unless the two gauges aren't even close in temperature range. Your tractor is old and could have a thermostat that was replaced several times or even missing and if replaced, not necessarily with the correct one. If your tractor does not normally overheat, pick a nice cool morning, run the tractor up to temperature with the new gauge, make a mental note of the coolant temperature when it stabilizes and use that as your standard. Of course if one gauge goes up to 280 and the other goes to 240 either will work because I don't think your tractor should be running that hot. In that case I would go for the 240 because an unusual rise in coolant temperature will be more apparent. What's the difference between the two gauges available?

/ i have a ford 871 SOS need temp help
that is very true, i did not think about it being changed so many times before.
i guess what my big thing is on that motor how hot is too hot ? i do not know much about diesels so this is all kinda new to me. one of them goes up to 280, then the other one dosnt have numbers it just has 3 marks on it like cold normal and hot but i do not know if its the same for gas and diesels or not