BOX BLADE Vs GRADER BLADE?

/ BOX BLADE Vs GRADER BLADE? #1  
Tractor
Thinking of buying a KUBOTA MX5100
Why cant a grader blade be just as good as a land leveller? Can anyone advise?

I'll need to get something to repair my gravel driveway for my MX5100 when it arrives>
the only box grader avail was 8 feet which i think is too wide for my use."

That's an interesting question. I think you should start a new thread and ask it. My opinion is that an 8 foot blade or box are both way too big for an MX5100, but you might get other opinions.

/ BOX BLADE Vs GRADER BLADE? #2  
Why cant a grader blade be just as good as a land leveller? Can anyone advise?

I'll need to get something to repair my gravel driveway for my MX5100 when it arrives>
the only box grader avail was 8 feet which i think is too wide for my use."

That's an interesting question. I think you should start a new thread and ask it. My opinion is that an 8 foot blade or box are both way too big for an MX5100, but you might get other opinions.

I never got along with box blades. They just weren't heavy enough to break up hard packed stone. When I had stone delivered I gave the driver a couple bucks to tail gate it out.
If you get a guy who has some experience you'll hardly need to touch it. I found that a blade was suficient for a few touch ups. Once it get's packed down from us you might need a box blade, but the secret is to keep it bron getting packed by frequent use of your blade to knock off the crown.
I've since had mine black topped.

/ BOX BLADE Vs GRADER BLADE?
rScottys opinion was

That's an interesting question. My opinion is that an 8 foot blade or box are both way too big for an MX5100, but you might get other opinions.

The higher end - more expensive - grader blades often come with removable end caps which make them work like box blades...but even better since they can angle and offset. But they cost more. I have the LandPride RB35 like that. To see it, go to page 36 on this site:
http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/...s/301-206p.pdf
(it a .pdf manual so it takes a minute to load).
Good stuff, though.
rScotty

Thanks Scotty...i looked it up and did not know you could do that. Now i need to find a local supplier. Ill start another thread see what others say. Can your answer be converted to a public thread?[/QUOTE]

rScotty reply was
For some reason, those end caps on grader blades never have gotten real popular in the US. Too bad, because they are the answer. Of course any welding fabricator could make up a set to fit any blade. They usually bolt onto the blade with two welded brackets and one support arm. I could take a picture of mine.

But I'm curious to see what the rest of the group comes up with.
==============================

Your lucky in USA your prices are far more reasonable than our sellection and prices unless we go Chinese ..

/ BOX BLADE Vs GRADER BLADE? #7  
This response is not from experience, but is from reading this and other forums and a little bit of logic.

The advantage of the grader blade is the ease of changing the directional angle of the blade for off-loading material from the blade and adjustment of edge height on each end to create grade slopes.

The advantage of the boxblade is the ability to move larger quantities of material from high spots to low spots. It is not as easy to change the elevation on the ends relative to each other and usually you cannot change the directional angle of the blade.

A landplane or leveler has a longer body and reduces the effect of the uneven terrain on the cutting angle of the blade. This makes it easier to shave more even slices off the high spots, but usually moves less material per pass.

One of the issues I have had in trying to level ground has been the tractor will rise and fall in the raw terrain and the blade or fel will change the angle of attach as the tractor changes elevation front to back. This causes gouges or the blade lifting from the ground if I am inattentative. Dragging a landplane would reduce the effect of the tractor elevation on the cut.

This response is not from experience, but is from reading this and other forums and a little bit of logic.

The advantage of the grader blade is the ease of changing the directional angle of the blade for off-loading material from the blade and adjustment of edge height on each end to create grade slopes.

The advantage of the boxblade is the ability to move larger quantities of material from high spots to low spots. It is not as easy to change the elevation on the ends relative to each other and usually you cannot change the directional angle of the blade.

A landplane or leveler has a longer body and reduces the effect of the uneven terrain on the cutting angle of the blade. This makes it easier to shave more even slices off the high spots, but usually moves less material per pass.

One of the issues I have had in trying to level ground has been the tractor will rise and fall in the raw terrain and the blade or fel will change the angle of attach as the tractor changes elevation front to back. This causes gouges or the blade lifting from the ground if I am inattentative. Dragging a landplane would reduce the effect of the tractor elevation on the cut.

Thanks JohnRex62, you given me a better insight with the problem that uneven ground can affect how the back end touches or deals with the ground and the videos sometimes give us a hint of the issues, but i hate when videos only show as eg FEL's only moving loose soil or BH's mooving loose soil, giving no indication of what tractors and their implements can really do.