Electric PTO clutches.. is this common?

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common? #1  

BigBoyinMS

Silver Member
Tractor
'73 MF135 & Montana 4540
How common are electric PTO clutches now?

All my experience until I bought my newest tractor was with Massey 135's. As most know, it has a 2-stage clutch. Engage the PTO lever and as you come off the clutch pedal it starts the PTO and the next stage it starts the tractor moving. And it's a cushioned start to the PTO because of the springs on the clutch.

On my newer tractor it has an electric PTO clutch that's engaged by a switch on the clutch pedal. If I'm anywhere above the lowest engine speed when I come off the clutch then, Bam! Replace the shear pin. Instant PTO engagement and no cushion of any kind. I've never replaced a shear bolt using the Massey, even starting at full engine speed.

Is this common now? Or should there be some sort of cushioning device that just isn't working on my tractor? Even at idle I can't see an instant SLAM start being good for any PTO driven equipment.

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common? #2  
Most manufactures recommend engaging the pto at idle, with no load on the implement. That minimizes the shock load to the system. Having a slip clutch on the pto shaft helps but it also should be checked for proper adjustment.

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common? #3  
I don't know how common they are now. I know my little JD STX38 had a knob on the fender that you pulled up to engage the mower. That was maybe a late 90's mower. I also used a 16hp Allis Chalmers as our church mower in the late 70's. That one had an old fashioned metal toggle switch on the dash. I often found myself wondering if the belt would split if I did it at higher rpm. It would really slap the belt around when engaged.

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common?
Thanks for the replies, fellas.
I kept searching and finally found a thread with enough info to point me in the right direction. From what I can tell it isn't actually an electric clutch. The switch actually energizes a solenoid on the "TM Control Valve" or "PTO Valve Assembly" so it's actually a hydraulic PTO. And there may be an adjustment on the control valve from what I read. Now that I know what to look for maybe the Korenglish manual will tell me how to adjust it. I don't want to lighten it up so much that it slips or can't turn the implement but even at idle it SLAMS it hard!

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common? #5  
Wasn't sure where you were going with this thread. The 2 I drove both had a big magnet that would engage the clutch. No hydro involved. Good luck!

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common? #6  
It's just my opinion but I bet all tractors will have them in another 5 to 10 years. On my Kubota it's a knob you turn to engage and then tap it to turn it off. It's like a safety (EMO) switch where in an emergency all you need to do is tap it and it shuts off. I think you'll see tractors come with more than one PTO kill switch as well. Maybe one at the rear of the tractor so if something gets caught on the PTO shaft there will be a way to turn it off with-in reach (not that I think you would be able to if your arm was caught though). They may even include a plug so attachments could also turn off the PTO in an emergency. 40 years ago if you asked someone about how many safety switches a tractor would have in the future I wounder how many would have got the number we currently have.

I don't think I would like my clutch being connected to the PTO switch. I would modify that if it was me. My clutch works like normal so you can still feather it when turning on the PTO. I've heard some tractors are coming without a clutch now.

/ Electric PTO clutches.. is this common? #7  
I have a Kubota Grand L like crazyal and you can just switch it on or you can use the foot clutch (basically its only purpose on a hydro tractor) to slowly engage the pto. On my finish mower the switch is fine -- smooth and silky engagement. On my 6 ft brush hog I use the foot clutch. The switch feels more abrupt on the brush hog since the blades are so much bigger and heavier.