Best solvent to remove excess grease?

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I'm at the point now where there are huge globs of grease near every grease point on the tractor. Time to do some cleaning...

I was wondering what the best solvent is to use for this task that will not damage the paint on the tractor? I tried a little paint thinner, and that worked very well. I only used a little, because I was wondering if the thinner would damage the paint? There have been no ill effects so far, but like I said, I only used a little once. I also tried WD-40 and diesel fuel, but they left much to be desired.

Any recommendations?

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #2  
Search for "odorless paint thinner" and you will find a good discussion on this subject a short while back. I haven't tried it yet, but have little doubt that it will work well.

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #3  
If you have a pressure washer, get some concentrated degreaser and spray it on, let it soak in, then pressure wash it off. You will be better off if you wipe up the bigger gobs by hand before spraying.

If you don't have a pressure washer, now may be the perfect reason to get one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #4  
Be careful with ANY method you use to remove the extra grease. I usually just use paper towels and do the best I can. Every couple of years- if i get motivated, I would take things apart , clean the pins, connectors, inspect the grease fittings etc. Paint thinner works great for that, just make sure it is dry before putting back together and greasing again.

I've done the pressure washer thing and wasn't too happy, left film behind and the next time i greased- i had some water droplets get forced out. Using any type of solvent also risks it seeping into the area you don't want it in.

Of course, If you follow Waxman's example- and thoroughly wax every part of the tractor, this will make it easier to remove the grease globs!

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #5  
Rags work well to remove the bulk deposit's of grease. Another rag soaked in diesel will work for the rest. Then to get rid of the diesel use dish detergent and warm water. :thumbsup:

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #6  
The pressure washer makes a bigger mess than it is worth. If you can hit
it so it blows it into the yard ok, but that is hard to do. If you try it
you will start seeing lil shipbalz of grease flung all over the place.

Don a pair of latex gloves, grab a roll of paper towels and a screwdriver
(a poker tool) and pull off the majority while hitting it w/ WD40.

Buy the WD by the gallon and just pour into a spraybottle.

IMO using anything other than a lubricant, it will get into the cracks
and possibly violate areas you would rather have lubed.

07d51757-7a6a-4254-b106-93634e7ed592_300.jpg

A gallon is only like 15 bux! A spray bottle maybe 3.
Do the math of buying aerosol VS this bad boy...you will never go back.

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #7  
Kerosene on paper towels works well to get the get the last bit of grease film off but I'm liking the WD40 method, I'll have to give it a try.

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #8  
Did you know that the military no longer uses WD-40? It failed salt spray test which is one of the required tests for getting a Mil-Spec. It also has be shown to cause problems with Corrosion on the aircraft. On a tractor tho, It is no problem. Works great for getting road tar off my pickup also. Best when the tar is fairly fresh tho.

I got busy and cleaned up the excess grease when I was working on the loader and found I had wiped the loader arm down with one of my favorite printed T shirts. (while I was wearing it)

Tom

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease? #9  
You all are not going to like this but regular gasoline will take grease off in a hurry - no paint damage either.

Just don't light up a cigar to celebrate your clean tractor!

/ Best solvent to remove excess grease?
Thank you all for the advice so far.

Search for "odorless paint thinner" and you will find a good discussion on this subject a short while back. I haven't tried it yet, but have little doubt that it will work well.

Yes, I read through that thread. That's what got me wondering what would be best.

Don a pair of latex gloves, grab a roll of paper towels and a screwdriver
(a poker tool) and pull off the majority while hitting it w/ WD40.

IMO using anything other than a lubricant, it will get into the cracks
and possibly violate areas you would rather have lubed.

A gallon is only like 15 bux! A spray bottle maybe 3.
Do the math of buying aerosol VS this bad boy...you will never go back.

Yeah, I used to have to have the gallon sized WD-40 and spray bottle. I ended up spilling more of it then I used. :(

If it got on the spray bottle, it would be a big mess. Maybe I'll have to try this method again...

You all are not going to like this but regular gasoline will take grease off in a hurry - no paint damage either.

Just don't light up a cigar to celebrate your clean tractor!

Umm...yeah...I don't think that would be the best idea...........;) ;) ;)