Tiller worth it?

/ Tiller worth it?
Thanks DaveB, good tips! I'll probably do just as you because I still have small tree stubs to remove first. The BH will do that best.
-T

/ Tiller worth it? #12  
Get out there and beat the ground with a hoe for two hours. Then use one of those so called upright garden tillers that will jar your brains out. You'll know the answer REAL quick. I'll save you the trouble, get the pto tiller.

/ Tiller worth it?
Buck1, thanks for the reply. I never intended to use one of those "upright tilles" because I bought a tractor to use it. But, don't you think digging it up first with my hoe makes sense?
-Terry

/ Tiller worth it?
RobertM,
Sorry to take so long with your question. I have a Bearcat model 73454 that is a perfect match for your and my B7500. Does an excellent job. (see attached)

Attachments

• 275253-chipper.jpg
    275253-chipper.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 187
   / Tiller worth it? #15  
I have about 2 acres. I have been using a troybuilt horse (8HP) for abot 15 years. Its hard work. I ahve a bad leg, infact I hope to have it amputated later this month I was looking for a small tractor about amonth ago and ran accross an add for a mower deck and a tiller for an MTD 20 HP garden tractor for $200. I went and looked at them they were brand new so I bought them as I needed a mower deck, mine is about rusted out. I wanted to try the tiller . I had to modify my Murray 18 HP garden tractor to mount the tiller. Actually it was just drilling some holes and getting some different belts for the included PTO. I works great I can till as much area with it in an hour and a half as I could in a day with the troybuilt. Last week I got the tractor I really wanted a Yanmar F20D and it came with a tiller also I have not yet had a chance to use it. I will probably not get a chance to use it until I get my new leg. Gives me something to look forward to.

/ Tiller worth it? #16  
The tiller news sounds good, but sorry to hear about the leg. Hope all goes well for you, and I know you'll enjoy those tillers that do the work while you ride instead of walk.

/ Tiller worth it? #18  
well, I have (well my wife has) a garden that is about 100' by 50', give or take, but I till all my neeighbours gardens too, so I do about an acre a year. I have a 48" tiller and it works fine.

Many tillers 'side shift' to they don't have to be big to do the job. I said it a dozen times before, but tilling is so fast and efficient with a CUT and tiller, you don't have to go for size.

ps: if you have a garage with a solid floor, make a dolly to move the tiller around with. It really speeds up attachment.

/ Tiller worth it? #19  
I have a garden about half that size. I have been wrestling with an Ardisam Earth Quake walk behind tiller for several years. I finally get tired of a soar back, and Popeye forearms. Got a Land Pride 1584 tiller. LOVE IT! Took me maybe a half hour to do what used to take me 8 hours. And I had fun for a change. Get the PTO tiller! No brainer for me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tiller worth it? #20  
You're getting a lot of "yes" responses, and I agree. I do feel like I should point out one disadvantage of a tiller for your tractor vs a walk behind, just so you have all the facts before you buy anything. If you're used to tilling in between the rows after things start growing, then you'll have to space things really far apart. I also have and old front tine tiller that I use for that, since once the ground is loosened up good it's not too bad on my back. But, a better solution that I just started last year, is to mulch in between the rows with grass clippings. I put it down about 2" thick, so it blocks the light and weeds don't grow. That saves a lot of time and effort in the long run and keeps the moisture in. It also makes good fertilizer for the next season. I don't even use my walk behind anymore except to go in during mid season and till up and area to replant something.