Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
What is the trick. I am getting tired of running on the edge. How do you keep your tractor cool? I alternate rinsing out the radiator, brushing the debris screen and removing the screen and blowing it off when I have access to air. I was in some high stuff(bushog) and could only go about 30 min. until it was running in the red. What do you guys do?

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #2  
I never use water. About 6 times a year I pull the screen and blow everything out from the back side. I have never been close to red on the guage either.

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #3  
Water is a better coolant,but I always run 20% antifreeze so you can "smell" the over heating on a open station tractor. With thistle down and milkweed it is a never ending battle. Some limited sucess running the front loader bucket at radiator height. Looked at some of the racing coolant additive- promised to run 20 degrees cooler than a 50/50 anti freeze mix. Did not go for the test because of the cost difference. Try to mow in the morning and have even bushogged at night. Later this week close to 100 degrees in Ohio. I let my weeds grow in weather like that.

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #4  
The reason I don't use water to rinse debris out of the radiator is sometimes it will turn the powder dust to a solid that is hard to get out. After you clean your radiator, use a light behind it to visually confirm it is clean.

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #5  
When you are doing work that the radiator, starts clogging up. you will always be constantly, watching the temp.
I've been brush hogging now for over 8 yrs. and run in all types of grass weeds and everything in between, and it's a never
ending battle.
Best thing watch the temp. and get off and clean the screen, and at the end of the day take it home get the compressor out
and blow it out backwards.
Stay away from any high pressure, car washes, the cooling fins will fold over like tissue paper.
If you find yourself doing that go to napa auto parts and get yourself a: Radiator fin comb, around $12 bucks. get the 4 way comb.
Not all radiators are the same for the spacing on the cooling fins.
david

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #6  
What is the trick. I am getting tired of running on the edge. How do you keep your tractor cool? I alternate rinsing out the radiator, brushing the debris screen and removing the screen and blowing it off when I have access to air. I was in some high stuff(bushog) and could only go about 30 min. until it was running in the red. What do you guys do?

I rigged up a fine fiberglass piece of screen over the raditor/ac condensor. It traps the crud and I don't have to blow it out of the core of the rad to clean it.

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #7  
When you are doing work that the radiator, starts clogging up. you will always be constantly, watching the temp.
I've been brush hogging now for over 8 yrs. and run in all types of grass weeds and everything in between, and it's a never
ending battle.
Best thing watch the temp. and get off and clean the screen, and at the end of the day take it home get the compressor out
and blow it out backwards.
Stay away from any high pressure, car washes, the cooling fins will fold over like tissue paper.
If you find yourself doing that go to napa auto parts and get yourself a: Radiator fin comb, around $12 bucks. get the 4 way comb.
Not all radiators are the same for the spacing on the cooling fins.
david

I agree with david on due diligence, have to watch temperature closely and keep the radiator cleared. I use my backpack blower for this on the jobs and a compressor when back at home.

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #8  
I also have a lot of problems like this when we have drier conditions. And it doesn't help that I have a lot of cottonwoods in the area. My little Kubota has a screened grill which comes off easily to clean. And there's a screen just in front of the radiator that pulls up and out that's easily cleaned by just brushing off with your hand. But my biggest problem has been the front of the radiator itself. One would think that the pull out screen would prevent most, if not all, of the debris from landing on the radiator but it sure doesn't in my case. If I'm near the garage I just use my air compressor. Out on the property I've found that an old drafting brush works well because it's very thin to get in this area and I'm able to use it to brush off the front of the radiator. I agree that you don't want to use water and air is best. That said, another option would be to carry one of those portable air tanks with you.

JohnZ
B7500

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #9  
Not much more to add to what has been suggested. Lowering the FEL to push the weeds over helps the most in prevention. Using the draftsmen brush is good tool also or even a long handle paint brush would work to remove the chaff from the screens while in the field. I do wash my radiators out occasionally but is it best to do this to a cold radiator and wash it thoroughly so you dont make the dust into mud that settles to the bottom. I also use this to wash off the battery case at the same time. Many times the dust will carry an electrical charge that encourages corrosion on the terminals, so I try to keep everything clean of dirt and oil residue including the engine and entire frame. THAt makes it easy to spot a fresh leak if everything is clean.
Best advise to prevent chaff from stopping up the radiator, dont let the weeds get so tall between mowings. If you let the weeds bloom and mature to seed, you will forever be mowing weeds. Clip them before or during bloom to stop the reseeding and allow the grass to fill in and eventually you will remove most of the weeds. Nothing stops the seeds from blowing in from neighboring property but timely mowing keeps them down.

/ Pollen and grass keeping my radiator stopped up #10  
A roll of fiberglass A/C filter material with 0.04 WC initial resistance from Grainger or favorite supplier will solve most of your plugged radiator problems.

For cleaning tender radiator fins in the field without bending a 3" diameter bottle brush chucked in a cordless drill will work in some applications and do an excellent job.

Last edited: