My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics)

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #21  
Good job, I like that Razr.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics)
Thanks for the comments, yea the razor makes my time to and from my house to work site much ffffaster. I went ahead and added another 5 inches or so of dirt over top of the pipe.

I would put the rip rap a little thicker along the sides. My son helped a friend of his on a job and they laid a lot of it by hand to get good coverage and packed it in.

If you have hills, you will find you really can't have too much rip rap or other rock, I keep some stored and wish I had more. I have 1", 2" and 6" minus in three separate piles.

You sure have moved a lot of stuff with a relatively small tractor, you are to be commended.:thumbsup:
Yea it's not a real big tractor, but pulling dirt with a box blade down a hill is easy when you have gravity. :)

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #25  
I'm gonna take that dump truck across it tomorrow, do you think I have enough dirt over top of the pipe?

Did you pack the sides of the culvert as you back filled it? If not I would not take that truck across the pipe it will likely crush it. After it gets rained on several times see if it settles any. You may luck out and not have any issues but if it crushes it down any it has to bee done over. My brother tried on his crossing and it crushed it.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #26  
If you get your ditches all the way up I would suggested maybe using some of that rip rap all the way up to top. Looks GOOD:thumbsup:

While you had the dump truck empty should have wheel rolled the driveway in,then could have run your boxblade rippers and rip drive lightly before put rock down(helps tie it in).
If it was my drive here would run a white rock base pack down some then come back with something like a small blue rock,its packs nicely and no dust or top it with oil sand.
We had a crew come in with a asphalt machine but it was high and didnt do the whole driveway cause couldnt afford it but it was nice,uniform,and the kids love riding the toys down the hill,lol.

Last edited:
I did not pack the sides probably as well as can be as my tractor (jd3320) only weighs about 5000 lbs and I could not work on both sides of the pipe while filling around it.

I think I will let it pack for a month or so before I run anything big across it.

So the consensus is to use all of the rip rap to build the edges at the bridge up?

Last edited:
   / My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #28  
I was talking about adding more rip rap on both sides all the way up,line it solid to keep it from washing,I personally would not wont to mow that slope with a weedeater,I would rock only no grass seed and spray it to keep weeds down. Just my opinion....

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #29  
send some pics of the riprap and crowning. runoff from downpours is gonna be one of your main enemies. That looks like one heck of a hill too.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #30  
I was talking about adding more rip rap on both sides all the way up,line it solid to keep it from washing,I personally would not wont to mow that slope with a weedeater,I would rock only no grass seed and spray it to keep weeds down. Just my opinion....

We had to do this in a couple of places due to erosion where we had ditches, without it, we just kept "repairing" the washouts. Most of our roads don't have ditches.