What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle?

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
Which transmission tyle gets more horsepower to the ground? Hydrostatic or shuttle type? If your looking to stay in the 60hp max range which will stand up to long hard pulls better and which will provide better performance?

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #2  
This is an extensively discussed topic in multiple threads. It would be easier to do a search on this forum rather than start a new thread. There is hours of reading available. Bring some popcorn...

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #3  
The short answer is that for the same weight, same soil type, etc a gear transmission will have more drawbar horsepower than a hydrostatic transmission. But as the charleyfarmall said, this question has been beat to death in numerous posts so do an archive search and read what everybody has to say on this subject.

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #4  
which tractor is better? Green or Orange? If you want to start sumting go all the way.

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #5  
Both types have more than enough power to spin all 4 wheels Even with a lot of weight on the tractor. Any more power than that is useless.

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #6  
crash325 said:
Both types have more than enough power to spin all 4 wheels Even with a lot of weight on the tractor. Any more power than that is useless.

Bingo

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #7  
.45 ACP versus 9mm Parabellum.. That was good for a few million words in gun magazines in the 70's and 80's and while I never heard of any of the antagonist's shooting each other, There were some hurt feelings. Now the current fight is over AR15 having Direct Gas Impingement or the newer Piston Operating rods. The best way I know of to start a fight in the tractor arena is ask which is better Hydrostat or Gear, or John Deere or Kubota. But if you really don't know... There is no doubt in my mind that a Geared Transmission equipped tractor with the same engine will put more power to the wheels than a Hydrostat equipped tractor. Now that said.. There is a lot more to operating a tractor than power to the wheel/tires.. If your Wheels are spinning then what difference does it make?. and there are dozens more things to consider in the completion of the proscribed task. Gear tractors are better for some things, and Hydrostat tractors are better for some things.. But if you want the last HP applied to the wheels, and the PTO for that matter, go Geared. But be advised, that the subject is one heck of a lot more complicated than that. Oh, by the way, I like hydro, I like my .45, and I am sticking with my direct gas impingement AR too.. But I would not think bad of you if you liked gear, 9mm and Piston.:)

James K0UA

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #8  
True enough but perhaps more importantly one of them will do a given amount of work , say plow an acre, with less fuel then the other. Not having read all the previous threads I'm guessing that advantage goes to the gear type transmission. The question is does the improved control the operator has with the hydrostatic transmission justify whatever extra fuel is consumed? For a machine working in tight places and on uneven ground that is probably a yes but for large Ag tractors pulling as wide as can be had to the horizon and back probably not.

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle?
My heaviest use is snow plowing a 2 mile length of road where at times snow gets very heavy. I plan on doing it with a blade on the loader boom as opposed to blower for time reasons. I currently do it with a pickup and it is really tough on the truck. I need to be able to maintain some speed to throw the snow over the bank which means I will be asking alot of the trans. I don't want to over heat and damage it. My tractor considerations are either Kubota L5740 or M7040. I want to use a 9' or so blade and am concerned about having enough hp and proper transmission to keep it moving.

/ What gets more hp to the ground, Hydrostatic or shuttle? #10  
.45 ACP versus 9mm Parabellum.. That was good for a few million words in gun magazines in the 70's and 80's and while I never heard of any of the antagonist's shooting each other, There were some hurt feelings. Now the current fight is over AR15 having Direct Gas Impingement or the newer Piston Operating rods. The best way I know of to start a fight in the tractor arena is ask which is better Hydrostat or Gear, or John Deere or Kubota. But if you really don't know... There is no doubt in my mind that a Geared Transmission equipped tractor with the same engine will put more power to the wheels than a Hydrostat equipped tractor. Now that said.. There is a lot more to operating a tractor than power to the wheel/tires.. If your Wheels are spinning then what difference does it make?. and there are dozens more things to consider in the completion of the proscribed task. Gear tractors are better for some things, and Hydrostat tractors are better for some things.. But if you want the last HP applied to the wheels, and the PTO for that matter, go Geared. But be advised, that the subject is one heck of a lot more complicated than that. Oh, by the way, I like hydro, I like my .45, and I am sticking with my direct gas impingement AR too.. But I would not think bad of you if you liked gear, 9mm and Piston.:)

James K0UA
That was very well stated.................Kudo's to k0ua.

EDIT: I would not trade my hydro.

Last edited: