John Deere 447 Backhoe question

/ John Deere 447 Backhoe question #1  

Alacrity

Tractor
John Deere 3320
I recently acquired a used JD 447 BH mounted on my 3320. I'm a novice operator but things are going well after a few hours in the seat. One issue is the up speed on the boom. It is very difficult to feather. I've often gently pulled the lever back only to have the boom slam back towards me and just about send me over the hood of the tractor. All other operations on the BH are smooth and easily feathered. Is there an adjustment to make the boom up a little less sensitive?

/ John Deere 447 Backhoe question #2  
I have a 48 backhoe on my JD 4600 HST. I've used it for a lot of hours, but I still jerk the boom up now and then.

My suggestion would be to keep the RPM's low, especially at first. Even at a fairly low engine speed, you get good power, the hoe just operates a little slower. This makes it more controllable. I run mine at 1500 RPM most of the time. I never set it over 1600 for backhoe work.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 447 Backhoe question #3  
I have a 48 backhoe on my JD 4600 HST. I've used it for a lot of hours, but I still jerk the boom up now and then.

My suggestion would be to keep the RPM's low, especially at first. Even at a fairly low engine speed, you get good power, the hoe just operates a little slower. This makes it more controllable. I run mine at 1500 RPM most of the time. I never set it over 1600 for backhoe work.

lower rpm's for me as well. Kubota B2620 and rarely use rpm's over 1500. This gives more than enough BH power when pulling stumps to lift the front end off the ground with ease so feel no need for more rpm's anyways.

Running rpm's higher makes it harder on my Kubota as well to stay smooth and under control.

/ John Deere 447 Backhoe question #4  
I run mine at 1,200 RPM unless its working hard, then upto 1,500. Mine will hit hard if I forget, so I try to do 2 things when I bring boom into park (curl bucket at same time). Running at 1,200 I get 5 hrs per gallon of fuel. :thumbsup: