PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #1  

MrAgent007

Tractor
JD 850
Hello, I want to purchase an additional toy to tinker with when I am bored. I am trying to figure out to do I purchase a 1982 John Deere 850 diesel 4 X 4 tractor or a new John Deere 855D gator. I know where I can drive the tractor for fun at parades, tractor meets, cruise the property, etc., however I am trying to figure out where gators are allowed to be driven other than private property. The bottom line, I am trying to figure out which toy would be more practical to own. Please help!

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #2  
Welcome to TBN!!!

Do you have any actual work for a tractor? Mowing? Road maintenance? Snow plowing? If so, buy the 850.
If you're just looking for a toy, I suggest you not be too concerned about "practicality".

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #3  
I don't know the particulars, but there is a newer JD Gator running the roads here (Three Rivers, MI). Has factory cab, with glass windshield and doors, a wiper and turn signals/brake lights. Even has a license plate.

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #4  
Since I have two tractors, I'd buy the Gator!

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #5  
Those are two completely different machines. Each has it's own purpose, you should buy both!

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator
No specific tasks that I would be buying the tractor for. Perhaps in the future, I "might" consider purchasing attachments such as the mower. I would not have a specific use for the gator as well. It seems that other than private property, there are not many places that allow casual gator use.

Thanks for the welcome. I like the thought of having an "old school" looking John Deere tractor around to play with.

Last edited:
   / PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #7  
I light the thought of having an "old school" looking John Deere tractor around to play with.
1982 is "old school"???:laughing:

No one could even have imagined such a new-fangled thing when I was driving tractors full time.

Terry

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #8  
I would go with the tractor. Some cops will let a tractor drive down just about any street any time you want to but they will send a gator straight home with a promise of a ticket the next time.

/ PLEASE HELP! Do I buy a John Deere 850 Tractor or John Deere 855D Gator #9  
Can't picture either of those on the streets of Philadelphia