Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #91  
There is, but one would have to do some really stupid stuff to do so.

I've read anti-interlock folks stressing that one can open up the box, the face plate, and flip breakers. Clearly this is true, but this would be intentional, and actions of such are pretty hard to defeat. The point is that under normal operations (not the case of malice) feedback cannot occur. Also note that in most cases, not saying ALL, someone's little generator ain't going to be filling power lines up (and linemen's protocol is to always test for live voltages- yes, someone could come along and flip something, but in most cases the window in which this would have an effect is small; line segments tend to be isolated during repair- today's protocols are a lot more safe).

Still does not make back feeding into the utility with a generator acceptable .

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #92  
Still does not make back feeding into the utility with a generator acceptable .

Not sure where I said it could be acceptable. Just stating facts (and reality).

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #93  
And those deadfront mounted interlocks mert both nec and ul ratings, so all is good

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
Howdy,

Interlock = The interlock is made to stay in place whether the front panel is on or off. It is just more than a slide piece of metal. The manufacturer has the entire panel and interlock device submitted for UL certification. That is why I have said it makes it easier if you have a main line (larger main stream company) service panel. I do know Square D, GE, Cutler-Hammer, Milbank, Challenger, Murray, Siemens have approved interlocks.

If you have a older service panel, or smaller service, and are upgrading. It might be easier to buy a new service panel, and interlock kit, and go from there.

Howdy,
The information is the same today as it was when the thread was started.

Whatever your generator size, hook it up correctly. :thumbsup:

Howdy,

The information is still current.

There are many ways to hook up a generator. There will always be debates about someone back-feeding a panel. Doing the proper safe way is always better for all.
Whatever your generator size, hook it up correctly :thumbsup:

Howdy,

It does not add tons of cost to connect a generator properly. A full blown transfer switch, a Generlink collar, other approved meter collar systems, a generator break-out box, a UL approved inter-lock for your service panel, or the different kirk-key options out there.

The idea is to have it safe for all involved.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #98  
Howdy,

It does not add tons of cost to connect a generator properly. A full blown transfer switch, a Generlink collar, other approved meter collar systems, a generator break-out box, a UL approved inter-lock for your service panel, or the different kirk-key options out there.

Does anyone on here have a homeowner service entrance panel with a second separate cover on the actual service entrance itself, inside the panel box ( If you live in Canada you do ).

As far as I know this is not required by the NEC.

That said: It IS REQUIRED in Canada! (CSA)
Service entrance panels sold in the USA cannot be used in Canada.
Simply not safe enough!

More covers make it safer? Right?

Perhaps the whole panel should be housed in a Mosler safe.
That would make it safer yet.

Last edited:
   / Generator Transfer switch connection choices #99  
Does anyone on here have a homeowner service entrance panel with a second separate cover on the actual service entrance itself, inside the panel box ( If you live in Canada you do ).

As far as I know this is not required by the NEC.

That said: It IS REQUIRED in Canada! (CSA)
Service entrance panels sold in the USA cannot be used in Canada.
Simply not safe enough!

More covers make it safer? Right?

Perhaps the whole panel should be housed in a Mosler safe.
That would make it safer yet.

I just have two regular looking panels. One much smaller. I have two switches I have to flip. Built in such a way only one can be on at a time. Easy enough for SWMBO to operate and not be worried about electrocuting anyone. B

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #100  
Howdy,

But can you quantify "tons" in terms of dollars?
I'm also in Northern Virginia. To hook up my generator to the house with a transfer switch requires inspection, electrician, possibly a new panel. I've lived here since 1975. I've had 2 major power outages in that time. I've had a generator for the house since 2003 after Hurricane Irma (the second major power outage). The generator has been run once for a power outage that lasted about 6 to 8 hours during the heat of the summer and I wanted to make sure a freezer full of meat did not thaw and fired it up after 6 hours. It was about time to run the generator anyways. So I fired it up drug the extension cords and when the freezer and frig finished cooling down (maybe 20 minutes) turned it off.
I used to test it about quarterly with a load, but that has gotten down to annually.
So to spend hundreds of dollars for a "proper hookup" may not make sense to a lot of people.