Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
I just don't see why the NEC would care if I overload and damage my own generator. I must be missing something.
Howdy,
They only care about a automatic overload. Circuit breakers are meant to trip when there is a fault/overload. You do not try to run a 30amp ac unit on a 20 amp breaker?

The generator has a circuit breaker itself. If you load up to much, it should trip.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #22  
I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, and I understand that the answer may be, "Codes are nonsensical sometimes," but I still don't get it. If I install a backfeed breaker with an interlock, then I can use a portable generator to power my whole house by switching individual breakers on and off. But if I install a DPDT switch between the main panel and the meter, my generator must be permanently installed? How does that make sense?

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, and I understand that the answer may be, "Codes are nonsensical sometimes," but I still don't get it. If I install a backfeed breaker with an interlock, then I can use a portable generator to power my whole house by switching individual breakers on and off. But if I install a DPDT switch between the main panel and the meter, my generator must be permanently installed? How does that make sense?
Howdy,
NO, you can use whatever size generator you want.

Now, if you use a fully automatic transfer switch, the genset is suppose to be big enough to run everything. I mean everything. That is total nonsense. I might run a lot of things, but I am not trying to run a upper and lower electric oven, and electric cooktop, and everything else. (kinda like thanksgiving, cooking going on everywhere)

But, a transfer switch is pricey, whether it is manual, or automatic. The interlock kit results in the same thing. Safe from backfeeding utility lines. But, the interlock kit, is way cheaper.
manual transfer switch $800, permit $$, electrician $$, utility pull meter $$

interlock kit $149, dual pole breaker sized for genset $50, wire sized for amperage to outdoor connection $50, a generator inlet kit $70, and of course your cord to hook from generator to inlet.

The nice thing is, you use your panel to shut off major power items. For instance, all electric house, turn off water heater, turn off well, turn off oven, turn off stove top, turn off electric heat. you can leave all the lights on, just don't walk around the house and turn every single one of them on. Lites themselves really do not take a lot. Its the big stuff. Then you decide what you want to run while on generator power. Just do not overload your genset. (the generator breaker will trip if overloaded) If you want to shower, turn on the well pump, ok, water pressure is up, ok, turn off well pump, now turn on water heater, after a while, water is hot, now turn off water heater, turn on well pump, take a shower.

overall concept, is safety. NO BACKFEEDING POWER LINES.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #24  
... but a water heater that was heating at the time of power lost will try to start up when power is reapplied. If your generator is too small to restart your load and you forgot to turn off the breakers there's the potential problem.

That's a point and if you have an extended power outage, you'll have to consider this kind of thing. As, or more, importantly is to ensure your family knows and understands the procedure/requirements.
I can tell you now, if I was on the road and we lost power...my wife would just check into the nearest motel that had power... Hopefully, your family will be more responsive and responsible.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #25  
I just don't see why the NEC would care if I overload and damage my own generator. I must be missing something.

I was just guessing as to their reasoning. I'm not real sure why its required in some areas. It may be a local thing. In every municipality I've worked in there's something always a little different. All towns have to at least meet the requirements of the NEC but they can add their little quirps to it and to get your power turned on you have to abide by them. If you can diy without the need for inspectors (and can do it safely) then I would do it. Around here if you need the power turned off by the power company they will come out and turn it off no problem. After you do your work and call them to turn it back on is when they tell you they can't turn it on without an inspection.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #26  
Around here, (country) they will turn you off at the street once a year so you can do tree trimming. What ELSE you do is up to you.....

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #27  
Around here, (country) they will turn you off at the street once a year so you can do tree trimming. What ELSE you do is up to you.....

Now that would be the time to get ur done!!

During storm damage here they are kinda lenient because they get to far behind if they go by the book.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #28  
In both Northern Virginia and Northeast Mississippi I've had the electric company out in the past few months, they'll drop the power so you can do tree trimming and come back later and rehook it up for free. Just give them a few days notice when they are not busy.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #29  
Howdy,
Generator transfer switch connection choices.
For safety of yourself, family, equipment and utility workers, properly connect generators.
Some methods can be do it yourself to a certain point. Electricians and your Utility will be involved as well.

Thanks for letting us bounce off your thread. If I were to hook up a genset semi permanent to the house I'd probably go with the interlock system. Even if somebody knows how to cut on and off breakers as needed it only takes a slip of the mine to BOOM! I've been called out to check wiring after power was thrown back onto a ginny, it usually just trips the breaker but... I also seen one at a large plant blow up a $750 breaker in a GE Switchgear.

Howdy,
After looking around at interlock switches... if you have a mainline type panel from either GE or Square D, then the interlock kit is priced around $50 at home depot. Put in the dual pole breaker sized for your genset, proper size wire, and a inlet plug.