Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #31  
   / Generator Transfer switch connection choices #32  
I use a PTO generator rated at 50 amps. I got a mechanical interlock for the service panel. It's 200 amp and GE brand. I put that in back in 1983. Couldn't find the slide interlock for that style as they have changed over the years. I got measurements and kept looking at different interlocks till I found one that was close enough to use. Had to mill it in the slots to extend the length a little and cut the tab that blocks the generator breaker to make it fit. It works good.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #33  
It's 200 amp and GE brand. I put that in back in 1983. Couldn't find the slide interlock for that style as they have changed over the years. I got measurements and kept looking at different interlocks till I found one that was close enough to use. Had to mill it in the slots to extend the length a little and cut the tab that blocks the generator breaker to make it fit.

Does your panel have a vertical Main Breaker?
Our house was built in 1994 and we have a GE PowerMark Plus 200amp 30 space load center.

I'm looking for an interlock to fit it but the GE model THQLLX1 appears to be for PowerMark Gold models.
Generator Interlock Kit from GE | The Home Depot - Model THQLLX1

If yours is similar to mine could you post pic's and a link to which interlock you started with?

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1010242.jpg
    P1010242.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • P1010244.jpg
    P1010244.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 601
   / Generator Transfer switch connection choices #34  
Does your panel have a vertical Main Breaker?
Our house was built in 1994 and we have a GE PowerMark Plus 200amp 30 space load center.

I'm looking for an interlock to fit it but the GE model THQLLX1 appears to be for PowerMark Gold models.
Generator Interlock Kit from GE | The Home Depot - Model THQLLX1

If yours is similar to mine could you post pic's and a link to which interlock you started with?

Thanks.

I bought mine in 1984. It's 40 space load center. Looks similar to yours but has one extra slot at the top on each side that says not to remove and has a vertical main breaker like yours. I used an interlock that was for a SquareD K5410 and modified it.

I used Generator InterLock Kit and look at Generator InterLock Kit - General Electric Kits K-8110 that perhaps will fit your panel.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #35  
Howdy,
NO, you can use whatever size generator you want.

you use your panel to shut off major power items. For instance, all electric house, turn off water heater, turn off well, turn off oven, turn off stove top, turn off electric heat. you can leave all the lights on, just don't walk around the house and turn every single one of them on. Lites themselves really do not take a lot. Its the big stuff. Then you decide what you want to run while on generator power. Just do not overload your genset. (the generator breaker will trip if overloaded) If you want to shower, turn on the well pump, ok, water pressure is up, ok, turn off well pump, now turn on water heater, after a while, water is hot, now turn off water heater, turn on well pump, take a shower.

overall concept, is safety. NO BACKFEEDING POWER LINES.

Some breakers are SW rated, and meant to be used as switches as described ...others, not so much. Just a thought

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
Some breakers are SW rated, and meant to be used as switches as described ...others, not so much. Just a thought

Howdy,
Circuit Breaker Switches?

Out of maybe 6 times a year needing to run on generator power, you think a circuit breaker can't handle being shut off 1 day and maybe being turned on a day later when normal power is back on.

I have not heard of any circuit breakers not being able to switch off and on a few hundred times.

between having GE panels and breakers, Milbank panel and breakers, Murray panel and breakers, Square D panel and breakers, and some siemens breakers out there also. Standard breakers, GFCI breakers and such, I have never had failure with a circuit breaker. But, I am not flipping them off and on 20 times a day either.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
Howdy,
This was brought up in another thread which showed some products with good prices from local sources.
GE Power Mark Gold 200 Amp Main Breaker 4-Space 8-Circuit Meter Socket Load Center ge pm200.jpg and the matching GE PowerMark Gold Generator Interlock Kit ge interlock.jpg really is a nicely priced outdoor NEMA 3R meter base with generator interlock ability. With this being at the meter, you can control it with this service disconnect and then still have your main panel inside with service disconnect as well.

NOTE: always check with your Utility service to see if this is acceptable for service. They have the say so since it holds the meter.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #39  
NOTE: always check with your Utility service to see if this is acceptable for service. They have the say so since it holds the meter.
FYI, I asked both NYSEG and RG&E about this via their websites and I just heard back from NYSEG. Here is what they had to say:
Greg from NYSEG said:
After reading through the request I just calling to advise you that the inspectors are ultimately the ones that make the decision on whether or not your work is performed up to code, so if there indicating to you that the equipment that you're choosing to use is acceptable, it is okay to go with the inspectors advice. They're the ones that are going to inspect the service and submit the U L certificate to us to let us know what was done up to code and done safely and we just accept that from them. If we were go by and we were to find something that was grossly un safe that they didn't notice, certainly we would make you make corrections to that but ultimately the inspectors our our final word as far as whether or not the service is unacceptable.

Still waiting to hear back from RG&E (who actually owns the meter).

Aaron Z

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #40  
FYI Ring type meters are not allowed in some states...