Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
FYI, I asked both NYSEG and RG&E about this via their websites and I just heard back from NYSEG. Here is what they had to say:

Still waiting to hear back from RG&E (who actually owns the meter).

Aaron Z
Howdy,
I am only talking about the style of meter base. My local utility uses horn style ringless. There are many variations of the meter bases. Yes, UL approved, but you need to use the style and type that works with your utility. Yes, the utility will not move forward until the inspection is OK'd.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #42  
Howdy,
I am only talking about the style of meter base. My local utility uses horn style ringless. There are many variations of the meter bases. Yes, UL approved, but you need to use the style and type that works with your utility. Yes, the utility will not move forward until the inspection is OK'd.
Good point. RG&E requires the same. Looks like GE 200 Amp 4-Space 8-Circuit Outdoor Combination Main Breaker/Ringless Meter Socket Load Center TSMR420CSCU at The Home Depot is the one that I would need (TSMR420CSCU). $108ish locally and takes the same interlock.

Aaron Z

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #43  
Howdy,
"The interlock"

The interlock makes it so only 1 breaker can be on. The main panel breaker, or the generator breaker. So, you turn off the main 200amp breaker, slide the metal interlock, and now you can turn on the generator breaker.
View attachment 272502 click on the picture to see larger, then click again to zoom in.

Your panel needs to have a interlock kit for it. It usually needs the 2 top right spaces for the generator breakers. If your panel is full, a lot of times you can get half breakers to help make some room.

I like this option a lot because I'm not spending a lot of money on a temporary transfer switch that would be unneeded some day when I get a generator big enough for the whole house. My thought was use one of these and then flip off all of the breakers I don't want to power before I start the generator. The one problem with this plan is this approach doesn't provide a meter that shows how much load I'm putting on the generator. Is there a way to put a meter on the panel that would be active when the the interlock is flipped and the generator in use?

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #44  
Howdy,
The interlock kit does not have a certain amperage limit. The limit will be the size of dual pole circuit breaker you can find to fit your panel. Most folks use a dual pole 30amp breaker.

Howdy,
You can post questions here. That way everyone learns something... I don't mind the PM's, but the questions might be something someone else is thinking too.

Your service entrance load panel.
Not all load panels have interlock kits for them.

You can browse through these vendors (I have never used them, I do not know if they are any good, but the web site shows all the ones which they have interlock kits for)

National Ram Electronics
and / or
GenInterlock

The dual pole breaker for your generator hook-up can be any size. Standard dual 30amp for 8000w generators or dual 50amp for 10,000w generators, up to whatever size you can find and fit in your panel.

Howdy,
Yes, I use the Tiger Power PTO generator 30kw to run the central farm distribution. The connection is with 350amp Anderson ends with 2/0 welding wire. The wire and connections can handle a lot more than what my 30kw puts out. The connection is called a full power plug. The transfer switch can handle 40kw continuous and 48kw peak.

Tiger Power 30kw PTO generator
30,000 prime duty running watts, 90,000 surge starting watts
here is a quick clip running drawing 18.0kw and then dropping to 15.4kw
[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2g0zdbjdi83rd6/generator%20running.mp4[/video]

Howdy,

PSP Products makes a few different sized items. I do not know if they are approved in your neck of the woods with your Utility. You would have to check with them. You would then need to talk with PSP Products about what equipment would work for you.

PSP Products Transconnect switch gear from this page you can see they offer a few styles.

good luck.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #49  
As mentioned here, I have a 400 amp service that feeds two 200 amp main panels.

IMG_3582.JPG

I bought a TED 5002 to monitor my energy usage and confirmed that a 15KW PTO generator would suffice.

newey.jpg

I bought two Square D QOCGK2C interlock kits and two 50 amp double-pole breakers to occupy spaces 2 and 4 of each panel:

41Y-8pUQ9eL._AA160_.jpg

I bought a Reliance Controls MB125 50 amp meter box to monitor load balance.

51cu1T4Oj1L._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I bought a GE 50 Amp Twist Lock Power Inlet with L14-50 connector (larger and more robust than the popular Reliance Controls PB50).

2137ecc6-c38d-4ddf-9dc6-a26166b578d2_145.jpg

I bought 3/4 in. Flex Aluminum Conduit and 8 gauge THHN wire (rated for 50 amps and much easier to work with than Romex 6/3 with ground).

9269b8b9-81fb-47ca-990b-70bad966bbf5_145.jpg
0cd332ed-3a28-4e59-954d-18f30c9189a9_145.jpg
8a55d87c-148a-435e-845d-bd647629db60_145.jpg
85dd08f0-ddd5-42c2-bac3-236b7b9da9ca_145.jpg
2c80b84a-89a6-49e9-8b0b-c18bf0323b5e_145.jpg

I bought a Conntek 1450SS2-15 Temporary Power Cord with NEMA 14-50P Generator Plug to CS6364 Locking Connector.

41-N5adeMiL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Now I am trying to wrap my head around the parallel neutral path that this approach would introduce as discussed at length in this thread. The neutrals are presumably bonded at the meter and to ground at the disconnects between the meter and each panel. I don't yet understand 1) why a secondary neutral is unsafe if it's of the same gauge as the primary, or 2) why it would be unsafe to connect the generator neutral to only one panel to leverage the existing primary neutral connection to the other panel. Worst case I can order another inlet box and associated wiring to connect each panel separately, in which case the parallel neutral path would exist only when the generator is connected via a Y cable. Thoughts?

(edited to update broken links for reference)

Last edited:
Now I am trying to wrap my head around the parallel neutral path that this approach would introduce as discussed at length in this thread. The neutrals are presumably bonded at the meter and to ground at the disconnects between the meter and each panel. I don't yet understand 1) why a secondary neutral is unsafe if it's of the same gauge as the primary, or 2) why it would be unsafe to connect the generator neutral to only one panel to leverage the existing primary neutral connection to the other panel. Worst case I can order another inlet box and associated wiring to connect each panel separately, in which case the parallel neutral path would exist only when the generator is connected via a Y cable. Thoughts?

Howdy,
I see you have been busy. I see exactly what you want to do. But, I am not sure it can be accomplished. That is also one of the reason I have the Transconnect unit. In my meter box, I use the feed thru lugs to feed 2 200amp panels, a 60amp well panel, a 100amp shop panel, and a 100amp barn panel. Being a central farm distribution, I can power whatever is needed when on generator power.

Because of the complexity of what you want to do. IMHO you should maybe get a local PRO in your area. I do not think you will get the best internet advice to be able to do it correctly and safely.