Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #51  
I see exactly what you want to do. But, I am not sure it can be accomplished. That is also one of the reason I have the Transconnect unit. In my meter box, I use the feed thru lugs to feed 2 200amp panels, a 60amp well panel, a 100amp shop panel, and a 100amp barn panel. Being a central farm distribution, I can power whatever is needed when on generator power.
I would really like to go that route, but at $4,333, the TC2OSM2LO is simply not an option. :(

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #52  
Here, they wouldn't let me use the two, 200 amp main panels for a disconnect. Had to be a manual, knife type. Absolutely no breakers. Engineer told me current can jump across a breaker. I'm thinking more of a safety factor for lineman, in case someone doesn't kick the main panel, and back feeds out on the main line. With a manual throw disconnect, there is no way that can happen.

Had a lineman here 5-6 years ago get electrocuted, about 5 miles away because of someone doing that. It stopped his heart, but paramedics got him revived... Seems after that, they really started pushing the manual throw disconnect.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #53  
Here, they wouldn't let me use the two, 200 amp main panels for a disconnect. Had to be a manual, knife type. Absolutely no breakers. Engineer told me current can jump across a breaker. I'm thinking more of a safety factor for lineman, in case someone doesn't kick the main panel, and back feeds out on the main line. With a manual throw disconnect, there is no way that can happen.
An interlock kit ensures that only the 200 amp main breaker xor the 50 amp generator breaker can be switched on at any one time. With the 200 amp breaker switched on, no power from the generator hots can reach the panel. With the 50 amp breaker switched on, no power from the generator can reach the main line hots. Breakers do not switch the neutral, so perhaps that is what the engineer meant by "jump across a breaker," though 1) I don't see how the number of panels involved makes a difference, and 2) I don't see how this is a safety concern for lineman considering the neutral is grounded before it leaves the meter.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
I would really like to go that route, but at $4,333, the TC2OSM2LO is simply not an option. :(

Howdy,
You talked it over with PSP Products? Which model would work for you? Do you have that much draw that you have 400 amp service? or is it 200amp service using feed thru lugs. The picture of your meter showed it was a 200amp meter. I would think the model retro-fit meter collar style with a 50amp generator plug would work.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #55  
PSP never responded to my inquiry. A 200 amp meter is often used for a 400 amp (320 amp continuous) residential service such as mine.

I sure wish this thread did "rehash the neutral-ground issue."

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #56  
Not arguing the point on the interlock, just they wouldn't let me use the 2, 200 amp mains for a manual disconnect. What times we did need a generator, we'd just kick the main out on the main breaker box, and feed back through the welder plug in the shop. That's where the problem was, when people start their generator's, and forget to flip the main on the breaker box, doing like we did, feeding back out on the line.

I removed the one panel in the middle in the second pic, but left the other since it already had wire running to the house, waiting to be switched.

On the inside of the shop is the transfer switch. Picked up off of both sides of that switch in the trough over head. One going into the 200 amp. breaker box in the shop, and the other going out through the wall, into the 200 amp disconnect to the house.

There was some miscommunications between the electrical contractor, and the engineer as to a disconnect. So there shot about $600.00 for a box, & labor. Finished the rest myself changing it out & the manual transfer switch.

I did get flamed on here pretty good about using the sch. 40 "water pipe" instead of the electrical conduit. But, they didn't have the 22-1/2º angle fittings I needed to make the softer turns to make what I already had work, in conduit fittings. And not enough room to use the long sweep fittings. From what I gathered on a couple evenings of seeing the difference between the two, it seemed to come down to, color was the only difference, which started another argument... No problem, I can live with it. There are a few runs here that have been in ground, and above ground for over 30 years, and no deterioration so far.

If you note the safety light up on the pole. that was the engineer's idea. It is wired into the utility side, so as to let you know power has been restored, IF you happen to remember to flip the switch, when going to generator power.

320 Amp Disconnect 006.jpg320 Amp Disconnect 007.jpg

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #57  
...and there's the rub. Some aspects of the code (typically later revisions) tend to push sensible risk management (things that may not be ideal but that are not dangerous to someone following basic safety procedures) too far toward risk prevention (insurance for Darwin Award candidates), often rendering compliant implementation prohibitive, thus compelling the un[der]qualified to come up with workarounds that are often downright lethal ("suicide cables" for dryer plugs), which defeats the purpose of such regulations to begin with. The electrician I consulted claimed that an inspector would fail any installation that involved powering my panels with a 15KW PTO generator because "it isn't powerful enough to run all conceivable loads." My TED tells me exactly what my load is, and shedding is easy, so I am not inclined to sacrifice the flexibility I need and am instead doing my best to find a solution that is safe, if not to code.

Howdy,
I am sorry you have completed so much work already with your service upgrade and stuff. Not to take it lightly, but if things do not work out, you could remove the meter socket and the 2 200amp disconnects. There are some products which would replace all of them in 1 product. I was looking at them before working it out with my utility for the Transconnect product I am using now.

The Durham Company. 400 amp Standby Generator Transfer Switch
It would hold your meter, it has your method of disconnect, and it has your generator connection, all in 1 product.