Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #71  
Agree with Daybreak and do/get an audit for your power usage. You'll need to having everything running including sumps and water pumps in order to get a max usage. In this case, bigger is better. The auto switch is a must if you are doing your whole house in that there may be times that you aren't home to manually throw switches and start the gen. We have a whole house genset (wish it was bigger) and it has been operated flawlessly for over ten years. Go with propane as it is easier what with no middle of the night or storm filling. Suggest aircooled motor as it is a lot easier to maintain....the noise isn't too bad!

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
Howdy,
I have a few neighbors which are wanting to do an ag well like what I have. It looks like the best current option is using the milbank U5168 PDF brochure milbank u5168-xtl-200-kk and the matching generator interlock disconnect K5815. This way they will have 200amp service, a service disconnect, a generator connection, and a few other circuit breaker locations for other stuff, plus 200amp feed-thru lugs.

One will put in a custom cistern tank underground for a water works vault, while the other has some flat land water level issues and will be building water closet houses.

Do you need to get a permit to do a interlock?.

Howdy,
I do not know? It really depends on where you live and what the rules are for your location.

Howdy,

A similar service/meter/panel combo would be something like the GE 200 Amp 8 Space 16 Circuit Outdoor Combination Main Breaker Ringless Meter Socket Load Center TSMR820CSFLFMG and getting the GE PowerMark Gold Generator Interlock Kit THQLLX4

TSMR820CSFLFMG.jpg THQLLX4.jpg

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #77  
I feel like I have done a lot of studying on this topic, and I still have what seems like a basic question that I haven't got answered, so maybe somebody here can take a swing at it. All the transfer switches make you decide beforehand what circuits you want plugged in, which I don't particularly like. I don't understand why I can't just put a 200A DPDT break-before-make switch in between the meter and the main panel, and have the generator plug into that. Well, actually, I don't know for sure that I can't do that, but every time I go searching for options, I never see anything like that. Which is weird, because it sure seems to me like the simplest and easiest way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish. Which leads me to believe that there is a hitch in that plan that is not obvious to me, because I'm not an electrician. So maybe somebody here can tell me what the hitch is. Or point me to a nice 200A DPDT break-before-make switch that would do the trick.

Generac sells them.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #78  
Even though my service has the 200amp Generac transfer switch. When the main breaker failed in the FPE house panel. I installed a new Square D with more breaker spaces and a built in transfer switch.
Now if the little generator is in use the wife and kids can't trip it because they can't seem to open the electric water heater, electric stove, shop electric heat, house electric heat etc.
18 breaker spaces on the generator side of the panel. Used some 1/2 sized breakers on low demand individual loads such as the doorbell, smoke detectors and some lighting circuits.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #79  
I feel like I have done a lot of studying on this topic, and I still have what seems like a basic question that I haven't got answered, so maybe somebody here can take a swing at it. All the transfer switches make you decide beforehand what circuits you want plugged in, which I don't particularly like. I don't understand why I can't just put a 200A DPDT break-before-make switch in between the meter and the main panel, and have the generator plug into that. Well, actually, I don't know for sure that I can't do that, but every time I go searching for options, I never see anything like that. Which is weird, because it sure seems to me like the simplest and easiest way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish. Which leads me to believe that there is a hitch in that plan that is not obvious to me, because I'm not an electrician. So maybe somebody here can tell me what the hitch is. Or point me to a nice 200A DPDT break-before-make switch that would do the trick.
Try this link: GenerLink.com - About GenerLink - The easy way to connect a home generator

This is what our Rural Electric recommends.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #80  
Any idea what theses devices cost? I've looked and looked and can't find anything.