Ford 3910 Power Steering

/ Ford 3910 Power Steering #1  

Jacques B

Tractor
Ford 3910
I own a Ford 3910 (built in 1989). It keeps blowing the high pressure seal that sits at the bottom of the steering shaft. I opened up the power steering pump and checked the relief valve and it seems to be working properly. I am wondering whether the system is producing too much pressure, leading to the blown seals. Is there a way to lower the pressure produced by the power steering pump? If not, any other ideas what may be causing this problem. Any advice would be much appreciated. The last seal lasted just 2 hours, and my only solution has been to buy 2 to 3 seals at a time so I don't have to keep running into town to buy a new seal.

Thanks.

/ Ford 3910 Power Steering #2  
It's likely just too much play in the shaft. Probably will have to completely rebuild the steering sector to fix it.

/ Ford 3910 Power Steering #3  
I had a 3930 Ford and I believe there was a filter inside the pump that created alot of power steering pump leaks.

/ Ford 3910 Power Steering #4  
I had a 3930 Ford and I believe there was a filter inside the pump that created alot of power steering pump leaks.
I have a 3910 that I have put over 3000 hours on since new and the power steering has always been a leaker somewhere :thumbdown:
The metal fluid tubing from the steering box on the right leaked so many times I finally just left the temporary rubber line I had made in place rather than ordering the pre-bent tubing again after the 4th time. The pump reservoir got leaking so bad I finally rebuilt the pump with a kit. As the other poster said: "there is a filter on the back of the pump" that should be replaced periodically.
Other than that, the 3910 is a great utility tractor.

/ Ford 3910 Power Steering #5  
I have an '89 3910 and just busted the steering shaft (bearing tracks and bearings on the worm box). Do you happen to know where i can find a rebuilt or used steering shaft? They seem to be very rare, discontinued etc. I think the 89's have a different shaft than the common shafts that the other year/models have.