Man Killed Pulling a Log

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #1  

fishmen222

Tractor
John Deere 755
A man was killed yesterday in Henrico County here in Virginia while attempting to pull a fallen tree when the chain snapped. You do not hear of this often, but it does happen. I learned many years ago when winching folks out of the sand while surf fishing to always dampen the chain/cable with something handy. I always used two floor mats from the truck. In the woods here, I use a spare choker chain (key aspect-not under tension) laying on the pulling chain. It does not have to be something super heavy, just enough to break up the stored energy. People under estimate the energy stored when pulling something heavy. If it breaks free, it can injure or kill you. Cables and nylon straps that stretch more are the worst. Most of you probably knew this, but just thought I would post.

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #2  
Would be a great thread start, over in the 'safety' forum. A link to the news report would be helpful also(if available)

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #3  
That was an extremely unfortunate event, for sure.

I agree that putting these things under tension has its dangers. Can you elaborate more on the method to "dampen" cables, wires, chains, and the like? I would love to know more about how to be more safe while I'm working with machinery.

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #4  
I use those cheap blue tarps, hang over cable or chain. And do not use a chain or cable to jerk, a load or stuck vehical, because something will break!:eek: Thats what large tow straps are for.

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #5  
Thank you for this very wise reminder.

I'm not a big fan of towing other people's vehichles, cause then the breakage becomes my fault. Skidding trees with a tractor DOES put me right in the crosshairs of a rouge cable/chain. Maybe the wife will buy a winch with my life insurance proceeds:confused3:

For un-sticking vehichles, many people put an old tire between the two chain halves. This prolly won't mitigate the flying chain synrome much, but tends to absorb some of the 'jerk'.

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #6  
Thank you for the reminder and the tip. Very good to know.

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #8  
I'm not sure if putting an object on the tensioned line really works. I once saw a story about a Rescue Squad who did a test by putting their fire coat on the winch cable. I think in the end it had very little affect...

That aside, that's what we still do at my Fire Department:

View attachment 272179

I use those cheap blue tarps, hang over cable or chain. And do not use a chain or cable to jerk, a load or stuck vehical, because something will break!:eek: Thats what large tow straps are for.

Is a tarp enough weight???

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log
In no way do I claim to be a physisist, but it is my understanding that you want to interupt the initial kenetic energy stored in the pulling device. The end where it breaks releases the most energy as it has the least mass to move initially. When it reaches something that is static, that item helps disipate the energy. It is not a cure all but in my novice experience, it helps a lot. I cannot speak to the tarp, but floor mats have worked at the beach on 1/4 and 3/8" cable. I have not had a chain break, but I still use a dampner on them. You would obviously want to research further with professional facts versus my personal experience. Just wanted folks to be aware of this possibility.

/ Man Killed Pulling a Log #10  
Based upon what I've read I'm leaning toward use of a recovery strap - a strap which stretches to some extent and has NO hardware. The connections are all done via sewn loops - no metal of any kind.

See Recovery Straps - Tow Straps - Proper Usage

I like that idea (I've seen it elsewhere) to put something (a length of carpeting, a tarp, several jackets?) over the strap maybe 2/3's of the way toward the thing being pulled.