tow strap or chain?

/ tow strap or chain? #31  
Though I have looked at other posts I dont see an answer to my question. Perhaps the experts can assist.
I am going to weld some grab hooks on the HD bucket of my JD 4510 to use a 5/16 grade 70 transport chain to pull downed trees around. When I look at local suppliers all I see, in the 5/16 size for weldable hooks, are much lower grades. Is that an issue? Do I need to try to find a grade 70 hook to match? Also, am I really making a mistake by using 5/16 when I should be using 3/8's?

/ tow strap or chain? #32  
I don't know whether you're making a mistake or not, Mark, but I used mostly 3/8" chain (don't even know what grades they were) and that's the size I'd want. I also don't remember what grade my hooks were; got them at TSC so I suspect maybe 43, but I never broke a chain or hook.

/ tow strap or chain? #33  
Great advice Bird. Better safe than sorry. I will look into 3/8 all the way around.
Mark

/ tow strap or chain? #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am going to weld some grab hooks on the HD bucket of my JD 4510 to use a 5/16 grade 70 transport chain to pull downed trees around. When I look at local suppliers all I see, in the 5/16 size for weldable hooks, are much lower grades. Is that an issue? Do I need to try to find a grade 70 hook to match? )</font>

I suspect grade 70 chain and/or hooks can't be welded without losing the grade 70 rating. If that is in fact true, it would explain the lack of grade 70 weldable hooks.

SnowRidge

/ tow strap or chain? #35  
I have always used 5/16 chain and I have the same size hooks on my loader. These under 40 hp compacts just don't have the traction and torque to break this size of chain. I pull posts, logs and have pull a TO 30 tractor with all the wheels froze up and have never had any problems. And besides, I had to mess with heavy chain. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tow strap or chain? #36  
Mark,

I regularly use these grade 40 weldable hooks on vehicle recovery, towing and hauling equipment with grade seventy chain. Not only have I never had a problem, I've never, ever heard of anyone in the entire industry experiencing a failure on the hooks. A bad weld, possibly...but not the hooks if properly installed. For what it's worth these hooks with grade seventy transport chain are approved by OSHA and the NHTSB. I think they ought to pass the 'loader bucket log dragging test' with no troubles whatsoever.

As to the sizes, I use the larger 3/8" hooks for one simple reason. A 3/8" hook will hold 3/8" chain and 5/16" chain. A 5/16" hook will only accomodate 5/16" chain so if you have a 5/16" hook and 3/8" chain you're in trouble.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tow strap or chain? #37  
Thanks all. That really does help. I will get started once I swap out to the HD bucket.

Again, thanks for the advice!

/ tow strap or chain? #38  
Gary-Indiana:
I use grab hooks 5/16" welded on several pcs of equipment. They work best for me because I have chains of 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8", and they all are compatible with the 5/16" hook.
Never had a problem dropping a 3/8" chain on these hooks.
jim

/ tow strap or chain? #39  
When pulling logs or other long objects that I want to move lenghtwise I put 2 half hiches on the object. This give the chain 2 areas of high friction as the link in the bite of the half hich is pushed into the log. This is easy to get on and off.

It is important to rember to attach the chain to a pulling point on the tractor that is below the center line of the driving wheels to keep the front end from walking up on you. If the draw bar is set up so it can rise it is not a good pulling point as it will pull to the same line as the middle of the driving wheels.

Have a good time.

/ tow strap or chain? #40  
Thanks for the correction, Jim. I'll always defer to someone who's done it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif