Post Hole Digger storage

/ Post Hole Digger storage #1  

RunninOnEmpty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
We recently bought a Phd for the compact tractor & it's working out great. My question is: How does everyone store their Phd when not in use? Should I take it off & lie it down? Hang it from a stud in the barn? How long could I leave it hang on the back of the tractor? Thanks

/ Post Hole Digger storage #2  
Dont lay it down to hard to put back on . I think the best way is to have two posts in the ground and hang it with PHD setting on cross post between up right post that can be removed . Just put it up high enought to backup to it and hook it up and then remove cross post and drive away.

/ Post Hole Digger storage #3  
There are many options to store your post hole digger. I googled this since I just bought mine not too long ago. Some people just drill it in the ground a little and leave it there. Some hang it from a post in the garage or tree. I am going to make a stand outside for now until my shed is built that will store my attachments. It will be two posts in the ground with a board across the top and a hook to hang it from.

Here is a thread that has some ideas. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/54029-post-hole-digger-stand.html

/ Post Hole Digger storage #4  
Mine sleeps sideways on shop floor and on rare cold Fla nights I cover it with a blanket. ;) :)

Boone

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 733
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 863
   / Post Hole Digger storage #5  
for now, i just pull 2 pins and then 2 bolts that hold the gear box onto the frame. which drops the PTO shaft, gear box, and auger bit. (gear box is the heavist) splitting them up i can man handle them and just lay them down on a couple pallets. but i really need to get a chain hoist and toss attach it to a beam in the shed. so i can just backup, hook up chain, undo hitch, and let it hang.

pending on how i am feeling / worn out, i may go as far as undo bolt were pto shaft hooks up to gear box, and then undo the shear bolt / pin that holds the auger bit to the gear box. to make things more lighter to move around. ya it takes a few more minutes to undo a couple bolts / pins. but not about to kill myself either. or need to take pain meds after moving it.

/ Post Hole Digger storage #6  
Mine hangs from a small chain in the barn. I just wrap the chain around the frame near the gear box and slide a bolt through it to hold. I have plans to put a short piece of sliding barn door track up and hang the chain from that so the phd can slide out of the way.

/ Post Hole Digger storage #7  
The PHD is easily the goofiest thing I have to store and hook up. By far the simplest way for me is storing it in a hole in the ground.

/ Post Hole Digger storage #8  
I built a stand for mine out of 2x6s. I built it with the PHD in place. Now all I have to do is back the tractor into the boom, connect the top link and lift arm pins and I'm set. I have an F8 Danuser that weighs a ton. With the stand I can attach it myself. Oh, I always remove the auger or this deal wouldn't work.

/ Post Hole Digger storage #9  
Thanks everyone, there are some good ideas here and I will try one in my new pole barn. I was looking for a way to store my post hole digger.

/ Post Hole Digger storage #10  
Here's how I did mine, the pic doesn't quite show it all but the chain is simply suspended from a 4x4 piece of wood. There was already a thread about this same subject and it showed several ways to store a PHD. A little searching might find it.

implements 004.jpg