Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20S

Default Post Hole Digger storage

We recently bought a Phd for the compact tractor & it's working out great. My question is: How does everyone store their Phd when not in use? Should I take it off & lie it down? Hang it from a stud in the barn? How long could I leave it hang on the back of the tractor? Thanks

Tractor
    Mx5100,9N,ford 2000

Default Re: Post Hole Digger storage

Dont lay it down to hard to put back on . I think the best way is to have two posts in the ground and hang it with PHD setting on cross post between up right post that can be removed . Just put it up high enought to backup to it and hook it up and then remove cross post and drive away.

Tractor
    CT230

There are many options to store your post hole digger. I googled this since I just bought mine not too long ago. Some people just drill it in the ground a little and leave it there. Some hang it from a post in the garage or tree. I am going to make a stand outside for now until my shed is built that will store my attachments. It will be two posts in the ground with a board across the top and a hook to hang it from.

Here is a thread that has some ideas. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/c...ger-stand.html
    CT230 with backhoe attachment. 84" rake, bucket bite on FEL.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 DT,John Deere GT 235,JD GENERATOR AC-G8010S-E

Mine sleeps sideways on shop floor and on rare cold Fla nights I cover it with a blanket.

Boone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Hole Digger storage-001.jpg   Post Hole Digger storage-005.jpg  
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

for now, i just pull 2 pins and then 2 bolts that hold the gear box onto the frame. which drops the PTO shaft, gear box, and auger bit. (gear box is the heavist) splitting them up i can man handle them and just lay them down on a couple pallets. but i really need to get a chain hoist and toss attach it to a beam in the shed. so i can just backup, hook up chain, undo hitch, and let it hang.

pending on how i am feeling / worn out, i may go as far as undo bolt were pto shaft hooks up to gear box, and then undo the shear bolt / pin that holds the auger bit to the gear box. to make things more lighter to move around. ya it takes a few more minutes to undo a couple bolts / pins. but not about to kill myself either. or need to take pain meds after moving it.
    Ryan

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Mine hangs from a small chain in the barn. I just wrap the chain around the frame near the gear box and slide a bolt through it to hold. I have plans to put a short piece of sliding barn door track up and hang the chain from that so the phd can slide out of the way.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4310 ePowrReverser

The PHD is easily the goofiest thing I have to store and hook up. By far the simplest way for me is storing it in a hole in the ground.
    JD4310 eReverser
    430Bucket / 5' BrushHog / 5' BoxScraper / Grapples / 12KGen / JD550 Tiller
    5'GradingScraper / PHD / LogSplitter / SubSoiler w/Middlebuster Mod / Forks

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

I built a stand for mine out of 2x6s. I built it with the PHD in place. Now all I have to do is back the tractor into the boom, connect the top link and lift arm pins and I'm set. I have an F8 Danuser that weighs a ton. With the stand I can attach it myself. Oh, I always remove the auger or this deal wouldn't work.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Tractor
    Kubota L3000 DT

Thanks everyone, there are some good ideas here and I will try one in my new pole barn. I was looking for a way to store my post hole digger.
    To see more posts and photos of my farm, Milligan's Gander Hill Farm, A Beginning Farmer link to my farm blog at http://milligansganderhillfarm.wordpress.com/

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Here's how I did mine, the pic doesn't quite show it all but the chain is simply suspended from a 4x4 piece of wood. There was already a thread about this same subject and it showed several ways to store a PHD. A little searching might find it.

Post Hole Digger storage-implements-004.jpg
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast