Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

Default Tires

Do any of you guys switch tires from one side to the other? I was just curious if there was any advantage to doing that.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: Tires

Setting the tires to the widest position will give you more stability, and just looks better. This is probably the setting that most folks choose. If stability is not a concern, then setting them to the narrow position allows you to get in narrower places obviously. Not much else to it!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

I was meaning swapping them from L to R side of tractor for wear purposes. I'm not sure there'd be any advantage to it, but I thought I'd throw it out and see what you guys think.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I know that this isn't what you were asking, but is more in response to kebo's response. Another consideration to width is (like me) you purchase implements many times based on the width of the tractor. I have wide turf tires on my tractor and 35 pto hp. If I buy all of my implements wide enough to cover my tracks I need to buy 7' everything. This is just not always good. I have a 6' bush hog that is not as wide as my tractor but do not want to go to 7'. I am also thinking of purchasing a box blade and there is no way I am going to try a 7' bb behind my tractor. Since I won't be finish mowing with the tractor much anymore I will probably purchase a set of r1 tires and set them narrow enough to stay under 6'. Though I would like the option of widening them of mowing hillsides if need be.

As far as rotating them for wear, I don't think it would make much difference. If you happen to notice that one is wearing faster than the other then go for it. But as mentioned it will probably change your width unless you un-mount the tires and turn them around.

Tractor
    MF 1635

If you rotate them left to right you will need to take them off the rim and re-mount them since the treads are directional.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by EarPlug View Post
    If you rotate them left to right you will need to take them off the rim and re-mount them since the treads are directional.
    that is if you need to maintain the width. Mine can be taken off and turned around but will alter your width.

Tractor
    2008 NorTrac 254/ NT700 FEL, Massey 44 with Cultivator, Nuffield460/ 36A FEL

I dismount my front tires and swap them left to right. They are 26 inch turf tires. So, they aren't that hard to take off the rims. It gives you another season. So, if it's worth it. It is a personal thing. The thing to remember is, they are directional. So, put them on right.
    NorTrac 254 / NT700 FEL, NorTrac 72" Finish Mower, Jinma 6' Wood Chipper, and Countryline 5' Box Blade, Countryline PHD / 9" auger

Massey 44 / cultivator, Nuffield460 / John Deere 36A FEL