Newbie with and old MF50 tractor question

/ Newbie with and old MF50 tractor question #1  

Danbo56

Tractor
MF-50

Howdy,
We bought a small horse farm not long ago. The previous owner left a 1964 MF50 tractor. It's in great shape and runs fine, but i know nothing about about tractors. It has a throttle lever on the steering column!. Here are my questions: When I pull the throttle down to full open it drifts back to the 1/2 position. Are tractor motors intended to operate at full throttle?
I found the owners manual.... If anyone has one of these, I'd appreciate any advice on how to run and maintain it.
thanks in advance.

/ Newbie with and old MF50 tractor question #2  
There is a return spring on fuel pump that is pulling the throttle closed. Under the dash in the throttle linkage, there is a fiber washer and a spring, the spring puts pressure on the fiber washer, this keeps the throttle where you want it. I'm guessing that the washer and or spring is worn out allowing the throttle to move easily enough that the spring on the fuel pump is pulling the throttle closed.
Don't really want to run it at WOT, but most tractors are designed to run all day at their PTO rated speed and that usually is running the engine pretty fast.

If you're wanting to fix / maintain it yourself, you will have to have a service manual and a parts manual

/ Newbie with and old MF50 tractor question
Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I ordered a shop manual from IT... I'm not a mechanic, but I'd like to the basic stuff myself. I've raced cars and dirt bikes for along time. I like to tinker, but i usually know when to stop. Usually is the operative word of that sentence :)