Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog?

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
I was trying to whack down some russian olive on my place today, and I broke 3 shear pins. I am trying to be careful, but I seem to run into something occasionally. I know how shear pins are supposed to work, so I am not putting harder pins in. Do you guys think I could damage my L3400 Kubota doing this? Would some type of slip clutch work better? Has anybody used one?

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #2  
I have an independent pto on my Ford 4610 and I use a slip clutch on a 6 ft KingKutter 5 Points mower with a 60 HP gear box. I also use a ORC to prevent wear and tear on the pto brake.
I've always found shear pins to be a PITA and they eventually wallow out the hole in the yoke. The trick with a slip clutch is to make sure it has not rusted together over the winter. I remove my cutter drive line and store it inside after relieving the tension on the slip clutch. The slip clutch is adjusted by the tension on the spring loaded bolts that force the clutch plates together. You have to be sure to set those to the proper compressed length in order that the clutch will transmit power but will slip at the proper torque to protect the drive line. That info is usually provided by the maker of the slip clutch as a function of pto HP.

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #3  
slip clutch, would be my vote. and most likely allow a higher "setting" before it slips vs a "shear bolt" shears itself. assuming slip clutch is properly adjusted and in working order.

rotatory cutters (bush hogs) just way to easy to nail something in tall weeds do to not being able to see it.. and have a shear pin go. a slip clutch. would slip. and keep on going. and you may look back and see a patch that was not cut due to slip clutch letting things slip.

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #4  
I ran into the same problems with shear pins and now only use cutters with slip clutches, my brothers just keep spare shear pins in the tool box and replace them. I don't know if you will hurt your cutter, but climbing on and off a tractor several times a day sure gets old.

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #5  
Get a slip clutch and you will never want shear pins again

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #6  
I go back and forth. If hired workers, then shear bolt because they never adjust the slip clutch to slip. If I use it then I put a heavy grade bolt and set clutch to slip.

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #7  
on smaller mowers like 5' mowers i use pinds.. on 6' and up i have TL's

/ Shear pins or slip clutch on bushog? #8  
Some cutters are more prone to shear pins than others. My Bushog and K.K. almost never shear a pin the others I have owned have been more problematic.