How do you put ballast in your tires?

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #11  
mine was 4 and died after loading 2 16.9-24 tires. ( lotsa fluid! )

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #13  
Yeah about the time I got all the fluid in, the "bearing" was getting stiff on the shaft. so at about 52 gallons it was struggling. I am not even sure it would work now. It was only $6 but it is definitely in the POS class of pumps.

James K0UA

mine was 4 and died after loading 2 16.9-24 tires. ( lotsa fluid! )

The problem with using drill pumps for this application stems from the type of pump that most drill pumps are. They are transfer pumps meant to move liquid from one location at atmospheric pressure to another location at atmospheric pressure. When you try to use one to pump against head pressure, it won't last long before it craps out.

/ How do you put ballast in your tires?
I don't understand why the tire is sitting on the block of wood. I would think that would make a difficult situation rolling it off without losing balance.

It's on the block of wood so I wouldn't have to lift it as high to load it onto the truck that it is leaning against.

FredH - that is the exact same pump that I use. I bought it some years ago on sale at Princess Auto.

Mechanos - I'm using the pump to transfer liquid into a flat tire at (near) atmospheric pressure. That's why I burp it frequently to avoid pressure buildup in the tire.

Back in the day when I was running bigger tractors for a living, time was money, although I always removed the wheels myself and took them to a tire shop. Now that I'm retired, I have more time and less money, so I do all that I can myself. Besides, I like doing this kind of thing just to satisfy myself that I still can.

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #15  
The problem with using drill pumps for this application stems from the type of pump that most drill pumps are. They are transfer pumps meant to move liquid from one location at atmospheric pressure to another location at atmospheric pressure. When you try to use one to pump against head pressure, it won't last long before it craps out.

that's why they make burp valves SPECIFICALLY for tire ballasting applications. which I use.

soundguy

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #16  
that's why they make burp valves SPECIFICALLY for tire ballasting applications. which I use.

soundguy

Yes... but you're still pumping against head pressure with a pump that was not designed or intended for such purpose. If you weren't building pressure in the tire with the pump, the burp valve would be useless. It's a cheap pump being used for something it wasn't designed for. You can't really fault it for failing.

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #17  
I've got the same pump, it was on sale for about $10. Worked well for my tires too..

Sean

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #18  
With some hose adapters and plumbing, I use my 12v diaphram sprayer pump for removing and filling CaCl. A 13.6 x28 tire holds about 35 Gal that I pump into a plastic barrel.

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #19  
Now you tell me after years of failure. All this time I thought you guys ballasting tires were pouring concrete through those tiny valve stems!

:)

Bruce

/ How do you put ballast in your tires? #20  
Yes... but you're still pumping against head pressure with a pump that was not designed or intended for such purpose. If you weren't building pressure in the tire with the pump, the burp valve would be useless. It's a cheap pump being used for something it wasn't designed for. You can't really fault it for failing.

i gthink you may be misunderstanding how to use a burp valve.

you use one to relieve / prevent pressure buildup.

once you get he ballast in.. then add water via garden hose.