Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B 2320

Default Greasing finish mower spindles

Just got a used King Kutter 5' rear discharge finish mower. How much grease do you put in when greasing mower spindles. Are they sealed, so you put in a set amount? Should I see grease exiting bottom of spindle above blade? Manual just says to grease- no guidance.

thanks

Tractor
    in-between tractors

Default Re: Greasing finish mower spindles

My spindles are sealed, and I have not seen any mowing decks with unsealed spindles. I grease (3-5 shots) mine at the beginning of the season and when I sharpen the blades, usually once a season.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

The owner's manual for my 7 foot Woods calls for 1 pump every 12 hours. Gotta wonder where it goes. Not sure if they are sealed or not.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

Sealed spindles don't usually have a zerk-

If you are able to push grease in, there has to be a way for it to seep out under pressure. I usually pump in till i see a little squeeze out, in my mind, that pushes out old grease, dirt and water and helps keep it from seeping in that way.
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

When I got my Craftsman 6000 ZTR mower, the mechanic said it had sealed bearing so I never really checked the spindles till the second year I had it. I then saw the zerks and began pumping grease into them till it came out. It took a tube and a half total for all 3 spindles to get grease to come out the spindle. That was beginning of this season and I havent greased them again. I figured that if it was good for a year without any grease, 20 oz ought to last for this mowing season. It takes me about an hour to mow and about once every two weeks so I dont think I put more than 12 hours per year. I no longer wash it off after use, just take a leaf blower and blow off the grass debris after use. Someone told me that washing allowed water to get into the bearings due to the way the spindles set in a depression in the deck, so I quit washing. Time will tell if this has any effect.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota 2920

Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    Just got a used King Kutter 5' rear discharge finish mower. How much grease do you put in when greasing mower spindles. Are they sealed, so you put in a set amount? Should I see grease exiting bottom of spindle above blade? Manual just says to grease- no guidance.

thanks
    I bought the same mower this spring from TSC and I had the same question....shipped dry and no guidance. I pumped in red grease until I saw it oozing from under the pulley's. After a few use's I put in 1-2 more pumps to be safe. No issues so far.

Tractor
    Early 1949 Ford 8N

I have an old Big Bee RFM. It says to grease it every 8 hours of use. That amounts to about every 3 mowings for me. I use an air powered grease gun and give each spindle about 5 pops of the trigger. I greased it once until grease came out from under the pulleys and it got slung all over the belt. So now I limit it to 5 pops with the grease gun.

Pooh Bear

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2410, Kubota B7100Dt, Kubota B7100HST

I always wondered this myself. I seem to use mine about 2 hours at a time. I give each spindle 2 pumps before each use. If I was to mow 2 hr in the morning an again in the afternoon I probably would not grease it again that day.

Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

I have always tried for one pump of grease for every hour of use-I am not saying that's right, but I have never replaced a spindle.

Will

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

My Woods PRD manual calls for greasing every 25 hours of use...
    That would be approximately 2 times a year for me...
    I grease every two cuttings...
    My Land Pride RFM ran for 14 years...
    My Woods has been running 6 years...
    No spindle or bearing issues with either in 20 years of use...
    Grease is cheap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast