John Deere L120 stopped running

/ John Deere L120 stopped running #1  

ckennethstein

Tractor
John Deere L120
I'm the "mechanic" for my neighbor's L120. His help stored the tractor with the ignition switch on - so it was dead the next time I found it. Jumped it, ran it for 10 minutes, then it stopped - mower would not engage (electric PTO with 48" deck) AND the mower would not move. Engine stalled. Pushed it into garage, gave battery a full charge. Started just fine, but will still not move. Free-wheel rod is in. Parking brake is not engaged. What do I look for next. I have the owners manual (and ran through the troubleshooting section) but am at end of rope. Any suggestions?

/ John Deere L120 stopped running #2  
Check the drive belt and recheck the "Free wheel rod" again. To my knowledge there isn't much else to cause this as long as you pulled out the rod to move the mower initially.

/ John Deere L120 stopped running
Thanks Steve - I'll check it in the morning. Any idea if this is related to the mower deck stopping as well?
Ken

/ John Deere L120 stopped running #4  
Thanks Steve - I'll check it in the morning. Any idea if this is related to the mower deck stopping as well?
Ken

I suspect that would be two different issues. There is a fuse on the right side near the firewall for a lack of a better term, might check that but I think it would keep the ignition from working too, worth a shot though.

/ John Deere L120 stopped running #5  
If the mower will not engage, check to see if the clutch and/or PTO switch is fried. If so, it will blow the fuse and prevent the mower from starting. Don't ask me how I know.