generator

/ generator #1  

farmall 55a case

Platinum Member
Tractor
case ih farmall 55a
Look what I found in the back of my wifes truck when I got home last nite! Her and my grandpa we at a auction last nite and got this for 110 dollars! After checking it over and putting sum gas in it it started on the second pull! I know it not a industrial brand but it will be nice to have if the power goes out! Its a chicago electric 6500 watt generator. Dont think its ever been started before no gas smell in the tank! Hope it works good!

ForumRunner_20120810_140534.png

/ generator #2  
Should work great. If manual pull start then I'd run it about every three months to keep the field flashed.

Good find.

/ generator
Yep i sure will thanks for the info that would be the bad if i acutely need it and it wouldnt start because of bad gas

/ generator #4  
"To keep the field flashed" ... What does that mean??? I try to start my generator on the first day of each month - just to keep it running well.

/ generator #5  
Yep i sure will thanks for the info that would be the bad if i acutely need it and it wouldnt start because of bad gas

That is a good find. Seems like I paid 4... something for my portable gen. about ten years ago, and it didn't come with wheels.

I think what RPW is referring to is maintaining the residual magnetism. The manual for my generator says to run it at 50% load for 30 min. every 6 months. Most of these small gens. are self excited and rely on the magnetic field that remains in the iron to get the "juices" flowing when started. This residual magnetism decays over time and if not rejuvenated by occasionally running the gen. under some load, it may decay to the point it won't build up voltage.

You're correct, good gas is important. I added a tee and small ball valve in the fuel line so I can drain the tank, then run the engine till it sputters, turn on the choke, and let it suck the carburetor bowl dry before putting it up.