Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately?

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #1  

Alien

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I know I can be a bit rough on my FEL, but aren't we all. So I do have a regular check around and a couple of days ago found the spring washers for the bolts holding on the FEL subframe to the chassis have cracked and dropped out. I pulled a bolt out and it is quite OK but had to go to town to get some 14mm spring washers to replace them all. It would be easy to overlook this as they are a bit hard to see in some places.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #2  
The Yanmar that I just sold was the worst I have ever seen about the frame bolts loosening off. I had to tighten them daily and could never keep them tight. I guess I should have tried Loctite. I suppose I should tell the new owner to check them daily.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately?
Gary, I (being a retired mechanic) would never use loctite on these as it could create a problem in the future. The position mine are in would make it an extreme job to repair if a bolt broke off. One bolt I took out was extremely tight and I am using nickle based anti seize to prevent them from seizing in place and it is also helpful when tightening them as it lubes the thread. Let the spring washer do the work.
You could mention to the new owner to check them occasionally as they are under a lot of stress.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #4  
Actually I had not for over a year, so last week end I did, and they were still in spec on my torque wrench
:thumbsup:

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #5  
Noticed one loose on mine last weekend when I decided to give it a hand wash. Noticed it because the marks made from the bolt to the frame were no longer aligned. Another benefit of the occasional wash and inspection. Actually had one back completely out on previous tractor with new loader before I caught it.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #6  
No, I haven't checked mine in quite a while. Thanks for the reminder.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #7  
If you're having problems with split lock washers loosening up, try replacing them wedge lock washer (also called Nord-Lock washers). They are better at holding under high vibration situations.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #8  
   / Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #9  
If you're having problems with split lock washers loosening up, try replacing them wedge lock washer (also called Nord-Lock washers). They are better at holding under high vibration situations.

If you check a site called Bolt Science Web Site you'll find a video of a vibration machine which shows a split lock loosening quicker than no lock washer at all !

And I second the Nord-Lock suggestion. We use them at work in "can't fail" applications.

/ Have you checked your FEL mounting points lately? #10  
I'd never think to check this sort of thing regularly. Maybe when I'm giving the kit a clean every couple of months but no more. Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to check mine before use when I get one fitted. :thumbsup: