Big round bales

/ Big round bales #11  
why are you not using his tractors and equipment vs going out and buying stuff for your tractor? if he can stack them 3 high, surely he has the tractor and implements to do things. and just need some manual labor of driving one of there tractors.

be extra careful when dealing with round bails on the FEL. and only raise FEL high. when you have your tractor positioned in perfect spot. to were you can just raise FEL and drive forward a few feet and drop bail. if you have bail up high on a raised FEL and try to turn, you risk tipping entire tractor over on its side fairly quickly.

/ Big round bales #12  
Here is an example of how NOT to stack round bales 3 high with a borrowed tractor. HowNOTtostackhay3high.jpg

/ Big round bales #13  
shaking my head.all these posts an i didnt see anythinh about keeping a bale on the rear the whole time your stacking hay in the barn.also make sure backstop on the bale spear is high enough not to roll back on you.an do not hurry stacking hay up high.2 bales high is the max most loaders can stack.what hp is your tractor.

/ Big round bales
Well it took almost all day but they are in the barn. I took Ed's advice and found the Old Man's 3pt spike. I put one of the smaller bales on it, no doubt it helped stabilize the tractor. The first 5or 6 bales I just stacked 2 high, took it slow and easy. Then I got my nerve up and went for 3 high, made sure every thing was lined up lifted the bale and moved forward slowly and eased it on to the other 2, no problem. From the field to the barn was about 1/2 mile so most my time was spent running back and forth. It wasn't until I was almost done that the thought occured that I should have been dropping off the bale on the 3pt spike each time, it would have saved me a bunch of trips DUH!!.
I was fun to really use the tractor as was intended, not just mowing grass and pushing snow. I wouldn't say my use of the loader is now second nature, but I don't have to stop and think before making a move.
When I got home I had to blow the hay off the tractor, man that stuff is nasty. I was blowing hay out of places I didn't know were there. Used about 16 gallons of fuel and had to refill once from my farmer friend's tank.
All in all a learning experience, but I wouldn't want to do it everyday.

/ Big round bales
why are you not using his tractors and equipment vs going out and buying stuff for your tractor? if he can stack them 3 high, surely he has the tractor and implements to do things. and just need some manual labor of driving one of there tractors.

be extra careful when dealing with round bails on the FEL. and only raise FEL high. when you have your tractor positioned in perfect spot. to were you can just raise FEL and drive forward a few feet and drop bail. if you have bail up high on a raised FEL and try to turn, you risk tipping entire tractor over on its side fairly quickly.

I'm still learning to use my own machine (28 hours) didn't need any more distractions.

/ Big round bales

Sometimes it just feels good to help someone out who can not help themselves, and in this case I had fun doing it. They have welcomed me to hunt their land for the last 7 years. I can come and go as I please. So turnabout being fair play I almost felt obligated.

/ Big round bales #17  
4x5 800-1100 lbs
5x6 1500-2000 lbs.
Tight bales of dry hay.

4x5 800-1100
5x5 1000-1500
5x6 1500-2000

if your looking at large squares

3x3x7' 700-800
3x3x8 800-1000 (aka 100-125lbs per foot)