Big round bales

/ Big round bales #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Any one have any idea what a big round hay bale weighs, just roughly.

/ Big round bales #2  
Mark Page said:
Any one have any idea what a big round hay bale weighs, just roughly.

I have seen them weigh anywhere in the range of 1000 up through 2000 pounds depending on size and how tight there packed. Any dementions or specs on the bales.

/ Big round bales #3  
Also depends on is it just baled or sitting and fully dried. some 4x4 bales go as light as 7 or 8 hundred lb, at least that is what they say.

/ Big round bales
A farm just to the south of us is owned by an aging farmer who refuses to quit and retire. I hunt his property along with his son. His wife called and asked if I could help get some hay into his hay barn at the other end of their property. He had mown it and done a very poor job, his son had raked and baled it but ran out of time to finish.
Without thinking I said sure.
According to Massey's specs I have 2,900 lbs of lifting capacity at 10 feet, the tractor weighs in at 4,800 lbs. and the rears are ballasted with 850 lbs of methanol. I've used his hay barn as blind, and it's plenty roomy. He stacks them 3 bales high. I can pick up a bale spike today at TSC and be ready to go tomorrow AM. I was planning on buying one of the double spike models. I figure if I'm not comfortable stacking them 3 high he'll have to be satisfied with 2 high.
My loader skills are somewhat limited as I have only owned one for 6 months. I ran over there yesterday afternoon and counted 32 bales.
Any advise would be appreciated. Should I stack the remnants from previous mowings together before stacking this last cutting?

Last edited:
   / Big round bales #6  
My 4X4's are supposed to weigh 500 lbs. according to the manual, but average 580 lbs.

/ Big round bales #7  
A farm just to the south of us is owned by an aging farmer who refuses to quit and retire. I hunt his property along with his son. His wife called and asked if I could help get some hay into his hay barn at the other end of their property. He had mown it and done a very poor job, his son had raked and baled it but ran out of time to finish.
Without thinking I said sure.
According to Massey's specs I have 2,900 lbs of lifting capacity at 10 feet, the tractor weighs in at 4,800 lbs. and the rears are ballasted with 850 lbs of ethanol. I've used his hay barn as blind, and it's plenty roomy. He stacks them 3 bales high. I can pick up a bale spike today at TSC and be ready to go tomorrow AM. I was planning on buying one of the double spike models. I figure if I'm not comfortable stacking them 3 high he'll have to be satisfied with 2 high.
My loader skills are somewhat limited as I have only owned one for 6 months. I ran over there yesterday afternoon and counted 32 bales.
Any advise would be appreciated. Should I stack the remnants from previous mowings together before stacking this last cutting?

I would move things around to make room and start stacking. Take it easy until you get used to sliding out of the bails up on the stack, it is harder than it looks, also if the farmer has a 3ph bale spike I would use it, Cuts travel time in half. let us know how it works out

/ Big round bales
Thanks Ed Great advise. I assume you want the spear to pierce the bale as close to center as possible.

/ Big round bales #9  
Thanks Ed Great advise. I assume you want the spear to pierce the bale as close to center as possible.

Getting the spear close to the center of the bale helps. The double spear works best as the bales are stabilized the best. You will get the hang of it pretty quickly and will probably get comfortable stacking them 3 high after a few bales. Remember to watch how high you lift the loader not to hit any rafters in the building. Have fun.

/ Big round bales #10  
Depending on size anywhere between 500 to 2100 lbs. My loader is capable of lifting 2000# and I haven't found a bale I couldn't lift....yet.... My tractor is about 6800# without ballasting.