Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

Default Big round bales

Any one have any idea what a big round hay bale weighs, just roughly.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Page
    Any one have any idea what a big round hay bale weighs, just roughly.
    I have seen them weigh anywhere in the range of 1000 up through 2000 pounds depending on size and how tight there packed. Any dementions or specs on the bales.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Default Re: Big round bales

Also depends on is it just baled or sitting and fully dried. some 4x4 bales go as light as 7 or 8 hundred lb, at least that is what they say.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

4x5 800-1100 lbs
    5x6 1500-2000 lbs.
    Tight bales of dry hay.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor

A farm just to the south of us is owned by an aging farmer who refuses to quit and retire. I hunt his property along with his son. His wife called and asked if I could help get some hay into his hay barn at the other end of their property. He had mown it and done a very poor job, his son had raked and baled it but ran out of time to finish.
    Without thinking I said sure.
    According to Massey's specs I have 2,900 lbs of lifting capacity at 10 feet, the tractor weighs in at 4,800 lbs. and the rears are ballasted with 850 lbs of methanol. I've used his hay barn as blind, and it's plenty roomy. He stacks them 3 bales high. I can pick up a bale spike today at TSC and be ready to go tomorrow AM. I was planning on buying one of the double spike models. I figure if I'm not comfortable stacking them 3 high he'll have to be satisfied with 2 high.
    My loader skills are somewhat limited as I have only owned one for 6 months. I ran over there yesterday afternoon and counted 32 bales.
    Any advise would be appreciated. Should I stack the remnants from previous mowings together before stacking this last cutting?
    Last edited by Mark Page; 08-12-2012 at 08:48 AM.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

My 4X4's are supposed to weigh 500 lbs. according to the manual, but average 580 lbs.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Page View Post
    A farm just to the south of us is owned by an aging farmer who refuses to quit and retire. I hunt his property along with his son. His wife called and asked if I could help get some hay into his hay barn at the other end of their property. He had mown it and done a very poor job, his son had raked and baled it but ran out of time to finish.
    Without thinking I said sure.
    According to Massey's specs I have 2,900 lbs of lifting capacity at 10 feet, the tractor weighs in at 4,800 lbs. and the rears are ballasted with 850 lbs of ethanol. I've used his hay barn as blind, and it's plenty roomy. He stacks them 3 bales high. I can pick up a bale spike today at TSC and be ready to go tomorrow AM. I was planning on buying one of the double spike models. I figure if I'm not comfortable stacking them 3 high he'll have to be satisfied with 2 high.
    My loader skills are somewhat limited as I have only owned one for 6 months. I ran over there yesterday afternoon and counted 32 bales.
    Any advise would be appreciated. Should I stack the remnants from previous mowings together before stacking this last cutting?
    I would move things around to make room and start stacking. Take it easy until you get used to sliding out of the bails up on the stack, it is harder than it looks, also if the farmer has a 3ph bale spike I would use it, Cuts travel time in half. let us know how it works out

Tractor

Thanks Ed Great advise. I assume you want the spear to pierce the bale as close to center as possible.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Page View Post
    Thanks Ed Great advise. I assume you want the spear to pierce the bale as close to center as possible.
    Getting the spear close to the center of the bale helps. The double spear works best as the bales are stabilized the best. You will get the hang of it pretty quickly and will probably get comfortable stacking them 3 high after a few bales. Remember to watch how high you lift the loader not to hit any rafters in the building. Have fun.

Depending on size anywhere between 500 to 2100 lbs. My loader is capable of lifting 2000# and I haven't found a bale I couldn't lift....yet.... My tractor is about 6800# without ballasting.
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast