Slipping out of gear

/ Slipping out of gear #1  

Fundygundy

Tractor
JD 3085m
My 2011 John Deere 5085M started slipping out of gear today. It doesn't actually pop out of the shifter location, but rather, it simply goes to the neutral position while running - the nuetral light would appear on the dash console and the gear shifters would not move out of their locations. This happened today while discing. It happens with the gears in any combined position and did not seem to be dependent on throttle position. I then switched to my bush hog and it did the same thing when set at the ordinary pto setting. The only way to get it re-engaged and to move was to shift the gear levers out of position and back in, yet it would only run a few yards before the nuetral light would again appear on the console. The tractor is a mfwd and the 4wd button did not seem to have any impact if it was in the "on" or "auto" position. Anyone have any ideas ?

/ Slipping out of gear #2  
Hmm, doesn't sound good, does it. I assume it's under warranty, that would be my first call - to the dealer.

I am only guessing, but it seems like its either your clutch not fully engaging or your shift linkage is out of adjustment.

Can you position you gear selector "between" gears to see if that makes a difference?

/ Slipping out of gear
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the local JD dealership picking it up today. I described the problem to the service manager and he said it sounded electrical, primarily because the actual levers never moved out of their slots. Since the only indication that it "slipped" into nuetral was the blinking "N" on the dash (and the fact that the tractor stopped moving), he believed it to be electronic. I hope it is warrantied and/or that it is not a gear box/tranny repair as i need to plow and cut a bunch

/ Slipping out of gear #4  
Fundygundy said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the local JD dealership picking it up today. I described the problem to the service manager and he said it sounded electrical, primarily because the actual levers never moved out of their slots. Since the only indication that it "slipped" into nuetral was the blinking "N" on the dash (and the fact that the tractor stopped moving), he believed it to be electronic. I hope it is warrantied and/or that it is not a gear box/tranny repair as i need to plow and cut a bunch

Let us know what they find out. I am curious.

/ Slipping out of gear #5  
i think the shift fork is bent i had it happen on a case ih once or twice if you cant straighten the fork out you ll need a new one

/ Slipping out of gear #6  
I had a bent shift fork in my Kioti DK45 replaced (thankfully, under warrantee) when it started popping out of gear, but the symptoms don't sound exactly like yours. With any luck, it will turn out to be just an electronics issue, as the dealer suspects.
BOB

/ Slipping out of gear
thanks guys. will let you know as soon as i hear anything