Oil & Fuel A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #1  

Daybreak Farm

Tractor
New Holland T1510
I have withdrawn my questions. Thank you for the very thoughtful and helpful responses.

Dave

Last edited:
   / A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #2  
The real question is where the 4 quarts of oil went. Yes, your user manual says to check the fluids every ... I think mine says 8 hours for the first 24 hours. But even if you had checked it, the kind of issue that causes you to lose 4 quarts might have bit you even if you started with the reservoir full. Although you feel bad about this incident, don't be too contrite with the dealer. If you walk in there and say, "I screwed up my tractor. Sorry about that," he's going to say, "Yes, you did. It's no problem. Here's the bill." Tell him the facts: I last checked the oil at this time, and by this time, 4 quarts was gone. Don't do him any favors by volunteering information about what you should have or could have done. Focus on the fact that your tractor had a dramatic loss of oil and what the underlying cause of that was. In other words, try to keep the focus on what the dealer legitimately might be responsible for, instead of drawing the focus onto what you might be responsible for.

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #3  
I just wonder.... did the dealer make certain that the oil was full before you took possession of it?? That part of it is HIS responsibility.

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #4  
Id make the case that you should NOT have had to do ANYTHING to the machine (short of putting fuel in it) after receiving a brand new tractor from a dealer.

do not take a defensive stance on this. be PISSED that your brand new tractor came to you not ready to work from the dealer. If you dont get favorable results quickly do not be afraid to get a lawer involved sooner rather than later.

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #5  
In my opinion something in the engine must have been or gone bad. Thats why the tractor used up all the oil. This can happen in a few hours. When the oil light comes on there is no oil pressure and you lose lubrication in a short time. Then parts running dry get damaged.

The way I see it, you checked the oil, then it should be good for (a) days work. We sometimes make 12 hours or more with tractors and combine, and check oil only before starting up.

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #6  
The oil had to go somewhere...either burned by the engine (and you should have seen smoke) or it leaked out.
Definitely look under the engine for any oily residue...maybe at the oil filter and drain plug.
And, as another TBNer wrote...was there oil in the engine when delivered?

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #7  
Whether leaked or burned is not relevant to the responsibility of oiling. A new tractor should not need oil topped up prior to 50 hour oil change even though the book says to check it daily which is mostly to catch any leaks. It shouldnt burn 4 quarts in 15 hours. Even the old pre-60-70s model tractors under heavy load would only burn about 1-2 quarts in 15 hours which is a normal days run for a farm tractor.
You may now have motor damage beyond what caused the oil to disappear but the dealer should warranty the repair unless you maybe ran over something and punctured the oil filter. Any leaks should be noticeable from where it was parked.

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor
Thank you for the quick responses. I get the thrust of what is being said.

Any ideas what would cause the oil to go like that? And the clacking noise?

Thanx much.
Dave

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor #9  
Thank you for the quick responses. I get the thrust of what is being said.

Any ideas what would cause the oil to go like that? And the clacking noise?

Thanx much.
Dave

a missing oil ring would mean the engine burns a lot of oil.... enough to notice (like blue smoke?) i dont know... but a manufacturing issue with rings would cause that much oil to be consumed in a realitivly short period of time.

clacking noise (or knocking) is classic noise a spun bearing makes. (from lack of oil lube) also classic spun bearing issue to start out being noisy at high rpm and becoming progressively worse (more noisey at less and less rpm) over a short period of time.

/ A few questions...hopefully we didn't ruin our new tractor
Hi Folks,

Thank you VERY much for your responses. Based on the responses, I have withdrawn my original post. I really appreciate the time and effort you all took to respond.

Dave