Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #1  

Bigjune

Tractor
Jd 5320
I Am using a 5 foot rotary cutter. There was very little oil in the gear housing. The rotary cutter stops rotating if it meets any resistance (tall grass) . Will this require an new gear housing bearing? Any advice on how to repair?

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #2  
Does the cutter have a slip clutch?

Steve

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass
Thanks for replies. I refilled with oil, and have slowed down. But if it meets any resistance it just stops spinning. Even in lawn grass. I am just wondering if this would happen because of the gear box and should I replace. It is a 5 foot howse. Any advice is appreciated.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #5  
To smstonypoint's question, do you have a slip clutch, if so improper adjustment will cause this.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #6  
NO.. it''s not a gear issue.. it's probbaly popped it's shear pin.. or if it has a slip clutch it's worn out or adjusted too loose and is slipping.

and you don't fill the gearbox up all the way.. the level plug is likely UNDER the level of the input shaft, relying on the large ring gear to pickup the lube and transfer tot he input pinion style gear and sling for the seal... lower seal will be bathed.. etc.

if you fill it up it will liekly blow the seals out...

now.. check that shear pin or slip clutch.

this assumes that your tractor pto stays spinning when the mower stops.

if it doesn't.. then you are in trouble as your tractor pto clutch may be out..

post back

No to the slip clutch. I am just trying to figure out the next step. I bought it used and used it a little last year. When I started using it today it would stop spinning in light grass. I refilled oil, increased rpm on tractor, slowed down and raised it and it just would stop. Not sure if it is gear box. Tractor only has 250 hours so I don't think it is pto.

Ok. Thanks will check for shear pin. I guess it might be pto clutch because drive shaft stops spinning. Any advice on how to check that?

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #9  
Having blown a couple of gear boxes, you won't have any question if you do, or at least I didn't. As Soundguy says, don't over fill, ours "looks" low when it's full.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #10  
Ok. Thanks will check for shear pin. I guess it might be pto clutch because drive shaft stops spinning. Any advice on how to check that?

I think you have it diagnosed. If the drive shaft stops spinning then it is not the implement but rather the tractor.

To test it - if you have another PTO implement, like a tiller or chipper, that causes a load on the PTO shaft then it should stop working also.

Not familiar with your tractor but if it is a dual stage clutch then it may just need adjustment. (With a two-stage clutch depressing the pedal part way will disengage the PTO. All the way depressed will also disengage the engine from the transmission.)

You don't rest your foot on the clutch when using the PTO, I hope.