Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Jd 5320

Default Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass

I Am using a 5 foot rotary cutter. There was very little oil in the gear housing. The rotary cutter stops rotating if it meets any resistance (tall grass) . Will this require an new gear housing bearing? Any advice on how to repair?

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Default Re: Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass

Does the cutter have a slip clutch?

Steve

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

First put some gear oil in it....Second don't operate without proper level of oil and third ...slow down in high grass..shift to a lower speed.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Jd 5320

Thanks for replies. I refilled with oil, and have slowed down. But if it meets any resistance it just stops spinning. Even in lawn grass. I am just wondering if this would happen because of the gear box and should I replace. It is a 5 foot howse. Any advice is appreciated.

Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

To smstonypoint's question, do you have a slip clutch, if so improper adjustment will cause this.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

NO.. it''s not a gear issue.. it's probbaly popped it's shear pin.. or if it has a slip clutch it's worn out or adjusted too loose and is slipping.

and you don't fill the gearbox up all the way.. the level plug is likely UNDER the level of the input shaft, relying on the large ring gear to pickup the lube and transfer tot he input pinion style gear and sling for the seal... lower seal will be bathed.. etc.

if you fill it up it will liekly blow the seals out...

now.. check that shear pin or slip clutch.

this assumes that your tractor pto stays spinning when the mower stops.

if it doesn't.. then you are in trouble as your tractor pto clutch may be out..

post back

Tractor
    Jd 5320

No to the slip clutch. I am just trying to figure out the next step. I bought it used and used it a little last year. When I started using it today it would stop spinning in light grass. I refilled oil, increased rpm on tractor, slowed down and raised it and it just would stop. Not sure if it is gear box. Tractor only has 250 hours so I don't think it is pto.

Tractor
    Jd 5320

Ok. Thanks will check for shear pin. I guess it might be pto clutch because drive shaft stops spinning. Any advice on how to check that?

Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Having blown a couple of gear boxes, you won't have any question if you do, or at least I didn't. As Soundguy says, don't over fill, ours "looks" low when it's full.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjune View Post
    Ok. Thanks will check for shear pin. I guess it might be pto clutch because drive shaft stops spinning. Any advice on how to check that?
    I think you have it diagnosed. If the drive shaft stops spinning then it is not the implement but rather the tractor.

To test it - if you have another PTO implement, like a tiller or chipper, that causes a load on the PTO shaft then it should stop working also.

Not familiar with your tractor but if it is a dual stage clutch then it may just need adjustment. (With a two-stage clutch depressing the pedal part way will disengage the PTO. All the way depressed will also disengage the engine from the transmission.)

You don't rest your foot on the clutch when using the PTO, I hope.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast