FEL bucket position while parked...

/ FEL bucket position while parked... #1  

Anonymous Poster

What's the best position to put the FEL bucket in while the tractor is parked and/or being stored. I prefer to position it flat on the ground for a couple reasons. For the time being I have to leave the tractor out in the weather (hopefully building something soon) and putting the bucket flat or slightly dumped prevents water from sitting in it. This also keeps the cutting edge (especially the sharp corners where the blade and bucket side meet) against the ground and out of harms way so someone standing or walking by it doesn't hit it. Someone told me to set the bucket all the way down on the ground but curl the bucket all the way back so that the hydraulic rams are completely contracted. This will keep the exposed piston rod from getting dirty and corroded. What do you guys think?

/ FEL bucket position while parked... #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Someone told me to set the bucket all the way down on the ground but curl the bucket all the way back so that the hydraulic rams are completely contracted. This will keep the exposed piston rod from getting dirty and corroded. What do you guys think? )</font>

Thats the way I do it and thats why I do it. My bucket is going to get dirty and rusty pretty much no matter what. As a matter of fact it is rustier than I thought. I took this picture of my bucket recently to show off my new toothbar and when I looked at the photo I could not believe how rusty it was.

/ FEL bucket position while parked... #3  
I'm parking mine in the barn right now, but the way I thought I would like to do it for now, Lower the loader, and shut the tractor off. Then wiggle the joystick all directions to take all preesure off the lines.

/ FEL bucket position while parked... #4  
spencer,
I don't see rust, I see a lack of seat time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nick

/ FEL bucket position while parked...
I park the FEL of my JD 770 curled all the way up, but for a different reason. For some reason, if I leave the bucket flat to the ground it will weep a few cc of fluid out the front seal per day. No leakage when fully curled. No visible damage to the shaft.

/ FEL bucket position while parked... #6  
I've been parking mine inside. I shut the engine down and work the joystick till nothing moves. When the FEL is detached, same deal, then pop the QD's loose...............chim

/ FEL bucket position while parked... #7  
I keep mine inside most of the time but when I park it outside I do the same thing with the bucket (habit maybe?). I have a JD and lower my bucket close the the ground, tilt it slightly forward to allow anything that's in it to drain then put the loader in the float position so it just rests on the ground with no up or down pressure.

I wish I had a good reason to tell you as to why I do it this way. My only logic was I didn't want any water in the bucket to stay there and I didn't want any pressure on my hydraulics. It just seemed to make sense to me to do it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jarrett,

It is a choice of what you want to protect the most; the bucket or the hydraulic cylinders.

Extended cylinder rods will collect dirt and debris and can get some corrosion even though they are chromed. This stuff is going to wear against the seals. Seals will start to leak and you will have a maintenance/replacemnt issue on you hands.

How long will this take? I don't know as I store my FEL with all cylinders retracted. My FEL (on or off the tractor) is stored outside all the time, summer, fall, winter and spring. After about 10 years the bucket showed some signs of rust through along the bottom just back from the cutting edge (this is also the wear area). I had a reinforcing plate welded across the bottom. Now at 15 years the the side walls are perforating through. Not much but the life of this bucket is about done and I am replacing it. The cylinders are fine. Rods are smooth and shiney and seals don't leak.

Jeff

I put my bucket down since I park on a slight incline and don't trust the Kubota parking brake. I also do it after I shut the tractor off figuring I am depressurizing the lines a bit. I never thought about exposing the chromed piston arms, but I have no choice in my mind. I too leave mine out in the elements.

LOL, Frank D

Before i got my canopy with sides on sale I would roll the bucket forward to keep water out then stretcha tarp from the the front to the back. Now that it is more out of the elements I retract all of the cylenders.