diesel governor problem

/ diesel governor problem #1  

heviduty

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST/LA463 loader JD 318 / 3ph(cat. 0)
While hauling gravel to a road I am making along the back of the property, I notice the engine starts to slow down when I start up the hill and doesn't seem to recover on its own. There is plenty of reserve power and if I bump the throttle while going up the hill the rpm's pick right up. Is this normal or is something wrong with my governor? This is my first diesel engined anything, so I apologize if this is a stupid question to all you diesel gurus. I am used to gasoline powered equipment where the governor keeps the speed pretty much constant, but with my tractor it is like holding the accelerator steady in a car.

/ diesel governor problem #2  
Your governor probably only controls the high limit and the low limit, but not the "throttle" position. It works like a car throttle. Constant speed governors are used more on generators.

/ diesel governor problem #3  
Replace fuel and air filter....
I don't think it is the governor either as stated above.

/ diesel governor problem
Your governor probably only controls the high limit and the low limit, but not the "throttle" position. It works like a car throttle. Constant speed governors are used more on generators.

Thanks Raspy. Talking to my brother who just bought a new L3200, I learned his works the same way. It will take some getting used to. I guess you have to keep the rpm's up on a diesel to keep from having to monkey with the throttle. I have been running it at 1300-1500 but building this road is the first time I have done any real work with it, using a box blade and hauling crusher run. It seems to have plenty of power at 1800-2000 so I can just bump up the speed when working it hard.

Wnc3, I got no records with the tractor and wanted to know what was in it, so when it rolled up to 300 hours I replaced all filters and oils. It has 309 hrs. now.

/ diesel governor problem #5  
The engine needs to be running in its sweet spot which may be anywhere from ½ to ¾ of rated speed in order to generate enough torque to maintain engine speed due to load.
Also hydrostatic transmissions prefer to operate at higher speeds in order to maintain sufficient oil flow, pressure and efficiency.
These transmissions are very tough but unlike a manual transmission low speed lugging is situation I would avoid.

/ diesel governor problem
Thanks for the replies. Still haven't got my head around how the governor works on this thing but as long as it is acting normal, I can live with running it around 2k when working hard. I have to say I am very pleased with the amount of work it will do on 5 gals. of diesel.

/ diesel governor problem #7  

If I may take you up on the constant speed governor for generators. When you run a PTO generator, do you set the throttle a little high rpm prior to switching on heavy (65%-100%) load? I'm about to load up this setup and
I'm anticipating a " hunting" situation where the gererator auto shutdown triggers, unloading the engine, rpm goes up, gen comes up loading the engine, dropping rpm, auto shutdown, cycle repeats.

Is there an add on equipment to hook a tractor throttle up (governor ?)for pto generators?

BC164C - YouTube

Tmb1320