Best way to clean tractor

/ Best way to clean tractor #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Guys,

I want to really clean up my Ford 2810. However, the tractor has low hours and the paint is like new so i want to maintain its condition as much as possible. This tractor will be stored most of the time and only used once a year. I will be cranking it every month or two but thats about it. Shes pretty clean overall but theres some diesel fuel, dirt, maybe little oil around engine. Again not much but i would like to clean it on up. Whats best solution/product for removing this? Ive used purple power in past but not sure on this older tractor. Any thoughts?

/ Best way to clean tractor #2  
Try 409 for small spots. Then wax it the same as you would your car.Also if its stored I think I would toss some mothballs around to keep critters from building a condo.
Army Grunt

/ Best way to clean tractor #3  
I'll be watching this thread, mine is in need of a GOOD wash job and general cleaning. Can I pressure wash it, as long as I'm careful to not make direct hits on water sensitive parts like the starter, connectors, etc, ?? I mean, they pressure wash skidders and timberjacks around here all the time so it should ok as long as you do it carefully, right?

/ Best way to clean tractor #4  
I'll be watching this thread, mine is in need of a GOOD wash job and general cleaning. Can I pressure wash it, as long as I'm careful to not make direct hits on water sensitive parts like the starter, connectors, etc, ?? I mean, they pressure wash skidders and timberjacks around here all the time so it should ok as long as you do it carefully, right?

Pressue washing is absolutely fine - but beware if your paint is old or flaking not to get too close as you'll strip it off.... Around the engine / starter is fine - the jet on a pressure wash is generally too fine / narrow to cause any short. :thumbsup:

For older tractors which (like the OP) are going to be stored, I'm with Army Grunt.... Use a degreaser to get it clean (but be sure to use the right mix or you'll damage the paint) and then give the whole thing a good coat of wax oil to protect it during storage. :)

/ Best way to clean tractor #5  
I am a fan of simple green. Doesn't work as well as purple power IMO, but i trust it more not to be damaging. I have never had anything that I was afraid to use simple green on. It is also biodegradable so it can go anywhere and you don't have to worry about it, and I think it is non-toxic (may want to check on that).

/ Best way to clean tractor #6  
You can use a rag with some kerosene on it,works pretty good.Thats what they used to do to fire engines years ago.
Brian

/ Best way to clean tractor
Great ideas guys. The simple green and kerosene are definite new ideas for me. Thanks for the help.

/ Best way to clean tractor #8  
I am a fan of simple green. Doesn't work as well as purple power IMO, but i trust it more not to be damaging. I have never had anything that I was afraid to use simple green on. It is also biodegradable so it can go anywhere and you don't have to worry about it, and I think it is non-toxic (may want to check on that).

I agree I use the original SIMPLE GREEN on everything even cleaning the inside,stuff is great...
And I use dishwashing liquid to keep it from water spotting...

/ Best way to clean tractor #9  
Brake cleaner works well and evaporates quickly

/ Best way to clean tractor #10  
brake cleaner is awesome for degreasing metal parts, but anything with paint or plastic that I even kind of care about I won't risk the brake cleaner.