Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to clean tractor

Guys,

I want to really clean up my Ford 2810. However, the tractor has low hours and the paint is like new so i want to maintain its condition as much as possible. This tractor will be stored most of the time and only used once a year. I will be cranking it every month or two but thats about it. Shes pretty clean overall but theres some diesel fuel, dirt, maybe little oil around engine. Again not much but i would like to clean it on up. Whats best solution/product for removing this? Ive used purple power in past but not sure on this older tractor. Any thoughts?

Tractor
    TC 30 Newholland

Default Re: Best way to clean tractor

Try 409 for small spots. Then wax it the same as you would your car.Also if its stored I think I would toss some mothballs around to keep critters from building a condo.
    Army Grunt
    "Be who you are, say what you will, those that matter wont mind, those that mind don't matter".

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

I'll be watching this thread, mine is in need of a GOOD wash job and general cleaning. Can I pressure wash it, as long as I'm careful to not make direct hits on water sensitive parts like the starter, connectors, etc, ?? I mean, they pressure wash skidders and timberjacks around here all the time so it should ok as long as you do it carefully, right?
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    New Holland 50-86 / Siromer 204S / Case CK-28 / Cat 302.5 / Nissan L35.09 / Nissan Atleon 110

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    I'll be watching this thread, mine is in need of a GOOD wash job and general cleaning. Can I pressure wash it, as long as I'm careful to not make direct hits on water sensitive parts like the starter, connectors, etc, ?? I mean, they pressure wash skidders and timberjacks around here all the time so it should ok as long as you do it carefully, right?
    Pressue washing is absolutely fine - but beware if your paint is old or flaking not to get too close as you'll strip it off.... Around the engine / starter is fine - the jet on a pressure wash is generally too fine / narrow to cause any short.

For older tractors which (like the OP) are going to be stored, I'm with Army Grunt.... Use a degreaser to get it clean (but be sure to use the right mix or you'll damage the paint) and then give the whole thing a good coat of wax oil to protect it during storage.
    Fiat-NH 50-86vi, Siromer 204S; Ebro 44; Case CK28; Cat 302.5; Nissan L35.09

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I am a fan of simple green. Doesn't work as well as purple power IMO, but i trust it more not to be damaging. I have never had anything that I was afraid to use simple green on. It is also biodegradable so it can go anywhere and you don't have to worry about it, and I think it is non-toxic (may want to check on that).

Tractor
    New Holland TC40DA

You can use a rag with some kerosene on it,works pretty good.Thats what they used to do to fire engines years ago.
    Brian
    If you can't find something you didn't "loose" it,the word is lose.....stop wasting so many O's

Great ideas guys. The simple green and kerosene are definite new ideas for me. Thanks for the help.

Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    I am a fan of simple green. Doesn't work as well as purple power IMO, but i trust it more not to be damaging. I have never had anything that I was afraid to use simple green on. It is also biodegradable so it can go anywhere and you don't have to worry about it, and I think it is non-toxic (may want to check on that).
    I agree I use the original SIMPLE GREEN on everything even cleaning the inside,stuff is great...
    And I use dishwashing liquid to keep it from water spotting...

Tractor
    bobcat skidsteer

Brake cleaner works well and evaporates quickly

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

brake cleaner is awesome for degreasing metal parts, but anything with paint or plastic that I even kind of care about I won't risk the brake cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast