Bucket Capacity

/ Bucket Capacity #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Can anyone guess as to the capacity in cubic yards or feet as to the capacity of my loader bucket? I know I'm not giving you much to work on but I can find nothing in Massey's owner's manual, advertising bros. or web site that even mentions it. It's a 6 foot "standard" plain jane bucket that you would see on most any machine. Guy up the road wants to sell me some almost finished compost for $20/yd, I'd like to have 3-4 yards. I'm guessing 3/4 of a yard slightly mounded.

/ Bucket Capacity #2  
The 6 ft buckets that Kioti uses is rated at 9.18 cu. ft. struck load. Heaped bucket is rated at 15.88 cu. ft. This should give you a start on figuring out just what your rating is.
Good luck
Tom

/ Bucket Capacity #3  
I could see there being a big difference in capacity with different bucket designs even at the same width. You could tip it up so the opening is level with the ground and count how many five gallon buckets of water (or sand or dirt or whatever) will fit in it, 1 gallon=0.133680555556 ft3.

/ Bucket Capacity #4  
My guess would be in-line with what kioti-tom said. 1/3 yd struck and 1/2 hard heaped.

Why not take some measurements of you bucket and post them? Is it a round-back or square?

Knowing 3 dimensions is really all I need to get pretty close.
1. Inside width (inches is fine)
2. Inside height from cutting edge to top lip.
3. Depth at deepest point from imaginary line created from top lip to cutting edge.

With those three, I can get really close.

Also...how are you going to haul the compost?? Could you get a better measurement after it is loaded into whatever you are transporting with?

/ Bucket Capacity #5  
you could also try to ask the manufacturer, there is usually a place on the website to contact them to ask questions. Or even call the dealer.

/ Bucket Capacity #6  
Most compost folks with small tractor loaders say that their bucket holds 1/2 yard, heaped up slighty. That may or may not be true.
I guess the only true way would be to fill it with water. Easier than bucketing it in would be to make sure no water was being used anywhere else and read your water meter if you have one and see how many gallons it takes to fill the level bucket.

/ Bucket Capacity #7  
I dont think the water trick will be any more accurate than just making some measurements. Its hard to account for a little spilled water here and there. Not to mention that (at least with my bucket) you have to have it about 6 feet in the air to make the top lip and cutting edge level when curled all the way back. And then theres the buckets. How full do you fill them? doing it exactally the same every time.

Guessing about 9 cu-ft, that is going to take about 66-67 gallons of water. Thats alot 5 gallon at a time. And it is still easy to be off as much as 10%. And even after you do all of that, the heaped amount will still be just a guess.

/ Bucket Capacity #9  
Just found this http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library/upload/Massey-Ferguson-Compact-Loaders-Brochure.pdf

Page 21 shows the heaped capacity specs.

It looks like the 6' bucket on the L200, L210, and DL250 loaders is 17.46 cu ft.

So thats .65 yards. Or about 2/3rds.

So at $20/yard, your compost will cost you about $14 per heaped bucket full.

that is probably the easiest way. :)

I am going to take a guess and say it is probably about 17.46 cubic feet.

By the way, is $20 per yard good for "almost ready" compost?

/ Bucket Capacity #10