From geared stalwart to hmmm

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Been testing a bunch of tractors lately. I have a geared tractor currently and could never see the great advantages of hydrostatic drive as my tractor is so easy to go from forward to reverse with the flick of a shift. I have been trying out "shuttle shifts" mostly and I'm beginning to sniff a turn about this. Most of these have several "ranges". Somewhere on the newer tractors, you have a "shift" that allows backward or forward movement. Here's what I see as the problem for me or perhaps I'm too impatient. My tractor has 8 speeds with 2 ranges. The current crop of tractors have 12 speeds and 3 or 4 ranges. My tractor was simple. Either back or forth with the range selector and then back or forth with the gear selector. Now, you have to figure out how fast you want to go back, select the range and shift the shuttle and it seems this is mostly a left handed operation for a right handed guy. Sounds simple but this is no where as handy as my current tractor. I'm beginning to finally see what everyone was talking about in the "hydrostatic is the way to go" camp. Perhaps I'm missing something here or not used to these new fangled geared tractors but it is making me wonder about a change from what was formerly a hard stance for geared. Great. Something else for my mind to ponder as if it wasn't enough of pondering about what brand of tractor to get.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #2  
Probably would just need to get used to the new shift pattern is all. Whether you should go gear or hydro is a whole can of worms by itself.
I have the 8 speed tranny in my 820 and it is simple enough to use for the most part. If you are looking for another small tractor hydro seems to be taking over in most of the sales. I would expect gear tractors to dissapear form the smaller sized tractors very soon, not many left now anyway.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #3  
I've for a shuttle shift on mine. Didn't take very long to get the hang of it. Mine is 3x3 (9 forword and 3 reverse). What JD did was reverse the location of 1st and 2nd. Works very well for loader work. Plus it gives me the gears for field work.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #4  
I have 20F/20R on my LS 70 HP geared tractor with shuttle shift F/R which is ok for most work that I do with it. I recently got a hydrostatic drive B26 TLB and man is the hydro nice in tight spots where lots of shuttling back and forth is required. One can really move quickly with that rocker pedal. Some folks like the dual pedal controls but I love the rocker pedal. I guess it is whatever you have and get used to. For back hoe work, a hydro is only way to go but I can do OK on my LS with shuttle when using the FEL in wide open area which is about all I can use that big tractor in. Only down side to the Kubota is the high whine produced by the hydrostatic drive on the Kubota which is much worse than on my BIL's NH. With the 3 range hydrostatic, it will sure push a load too although H range is not very fast, it is ok for travelling with the backhoe on rough terrain

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #5  
About the only two tractors I have been running the last year have been our Kubota GL5030 then L5740 HSTC and M8540 HDC 12/12 Hydraulic Shuttle. I used various geared units from old Fords to a fairly new 12/12 synch shuttle for over 50 years and was comfortable with them. I have no difficulty using the 8540 nor does my son, but the HSTC is easier and less tiring at the end of the day if you do a lot of direction changes.

At one point, I didn't see myself ever using an HST on anything bigger than our BX or a B Series, but times change.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #6  
If you do a lot of loader work on hilly terrain wait until you try a Kubota with their HST+. I driven HST for the last nine years but in the spring I traded up to Kubota's L45 TLB and I have put almost 200 hours on it removing dirt from a steep hill on my property and regrading the area. You have the L-M-H ranges with HST+ but there are also two ranges and if you set it to auto down shift when you hit a slope the transmission automatically shifts to low range and as soon as you crest the slope it shifts back in to high. I can't tell you how many shifts this has saved me on this job but I have removed several hundred bucket loads of material going up a steep slope to get everyone of them. I tried an L39 with glide shift 3 years ago when I purchased my B26 but for TLB work I did not like it at all.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #7  
If you do a lot of loader work on hilly terrain wait until you try a Kubota with their HST+. I driven HST for the last nine years but in the spring I traded up to Kubota's L45 TLB and I have put almost 200 hours on it removing dirt from a steep hill on my property and regrading the area. You have the L-M-H ranges with HST+ but there are also two ranges and if you set it to auto down shift when you hit a slope the transmission automatically shifts to low range and as soon as you crest the slope it shifts back in to high. I can't tell you how many shifts this has saved me on this job but I have removed several hundred bucket loads of material going up a steep slope to get everyone of them. I tried an L39 with glide shift 3 years ago when I purchased my B26 but for TLB work I did not like it at all.

I was very happy with the performance of our L5030 and a bit skeptical about the HST+ and its benefits. I am not good enough with my 5740 to use it to its fullest, but am well on my way to being a convert.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm #8  
Luke.... come on over to the "dark side of the force" You know you want to..:)

Two gear tractors for me and now on my 3rd Hydrostat tractor... As for me and the work I do, (mostly loader and fork work) Hydrostat is the way to go. And the older you get, the more you will want that hydro.:D It really is a leg saver, and makes work easier.

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / From geared stalwart to hmmm #9  
There are only a couple dedicated tasks where I'd ever prefer a geared tractor. HST is sooooo nice. Infinite ground speed choices while keeping the PTO at optimum RPMs. Give hydrostatic a try.... you'll like it.

/ From geared stalwart to hmmm
What i really don't like on some of these tractors is how they have their joystick mounted. You have to be a ferret to get on from the right side as they have the stick protruding right in front of one's mounting path if mounted on the loader stanchion. If the joystick is fender mounted, they have the hydraulic lines hanging under the tractor or right in front of the rear tire so one trip in the woods would rip them apart. A woods tractor needs to be easily mounted from both sides especially in the dense woods I have.