Losing pins off the back of the tractor

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor #21  
All joking about money aside, I don't actually understand what you mean. The problem with the spring-type pins is obvious: weeds pull them out. But the split-type pins seem pretty secure to me. How are they going to come out?

Cotter pins are too soft to last imo. I buy the black lynch pins from Tractor Supply for .99 each way stronger spring and haven't ever lost one of these. You can also buy some of the smaller sizes for replacement of the smaller hairpin clips. These black lynch pins are tough so don't get your fingers in the way when you latch them.

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor
They'll still pull out.. They just require more force before they do. Also, the bent ends of the pins can get caught and "straightened", making them fall out.

But... I just spent, like, two dollars on a hundred of them! Are you telling me it's all for nothing?!

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor #23  
Sell 'em for scrap. Throw 'em in the ballast box. Give 'em to the wife and tell her they're new hair pins. Lots of uses for them still.

;)

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor
Sell 'em for scrap. Throw 'em in the ballast box.

You're right. I don't have a ballast box, but I duct-taped them to my drawbar, and the ride on my tractor is MUCH better. I can't believe I never thought of this before.

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor #25  
   / Losing pins off the back of the tractor #26  
It's true, but for the price of 1 locking lynch pin, I can buy 100 split cotter pins. Meh. It's not a perfect comparison, because I only need about six locking lynch pins. More fundamentally, I already bought split cotter pins and put them in, so I now have to rationalize that was the best thing to do. :D

you will spend more in fuel to get either so the price of the pins seems inconsequential.

lynch pins will also outlast cotter pins by at least 20 to 1 so in the end I think its a wash.

They are also require no tools to install or remove.

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor #27  
No offense, but I hate those lynch pins...............I've got a dozen or so scattered over my 2 acres.
I think they were purposely designed to become dislodged by small twigs just to mess with tractor owners.:laughing:

you can buy them with a retainer ($3 each is kinda expensive) or make your own. then you are not scrounging
around for one each time you hook up and they don't get lost as easily.

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor #29  
you can buy them with a retainer ($3 each is kinda expensive) or make your own. then you are not scrounging
around for one each time you hook up and they don't get lost as easily.

The chain is there to grab the weeds and then pull the lynch pin open.
The black heavy duty lynch pin on the right side of the page is the one I use for .99 buy some extras to have on each implement.

/ Losing pins off the back of the tractor #30  
A bolt with a locknut is tops for me. I have lost both spring pins and lynch pins at times. Safety wire also helps.