Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2520

Default Re: Losing pins off the back of the tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
    Then what did you replace it with that wasn't "worthless"?
    I put back what was there. Why?

A) It's cheap. Very cheap. I even bought an extra.
    B) I have to look to see what else would work there in a manner that would make sense to me without being "expensive".
    C) Failure / loss of that clip has no danger while the mower is in use or remaining under the tractor. The gauge wheel posts have two catches - the primary is a positive lock that holds the post in a fixed setting to allow the gauge wheels to actually function and this other clip that is sort of a last resort catch. That positive positional lock (attached to the mowing deck, non-removable) is always engaged unless I go to remove the deck (and you have to allow the gauge wheels to float all the way up since it's a drive-over deck).

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

From what I've seen, we are disscussing three different kinds of pins which are all designed for different uses. If the hole is about 5/16 or 3/8 use a lynch pin installed from the top (or a 5/16 bolt with a nyloc nut) Use the black ones with a safety chain and keep them in good shape. Carry a spare in the toolbox.
    If the hole is 1/8-1/4, then use either a small diameter lynch pin (of the correct size) or a "safety pin" that hooks back on itself, just like the name. For smaller holes use cotter pins or just wire them. These are found on things like axle bearing retainers. There are also some small holes where the "spring clips" will work if they are tucked up away from brush.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040SU 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    Safety wire the pins closed or replace them with a bolt and nylock nut combo.
    Back in the Navy working on F-8's we use to safety wire everything that didn't move.

Charlie
    M7040 SUD,
    LA1153 FEL
    Rino 272 Shredder
    Land Pride 6ft Box Blade
    Hay Spear

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Simpliest method is usually best. Use a lynch pin and some tie wire to safety wire it shut when using your tractor in overgrown brush. Keep some spare wire and wire nippers in your tractor to nip the safety wire off when unhooking and some plain old wire pliers to wire it tightly shut when installing. If you rip off the safety wire and the lynch pin, you are likely into something that you shouldnt be into in the first place.
    The "safety chains" arent really safety chains at all. They just keep you from dropping them when hooking up and unhooking. As for use in the field, the chains just grab onto weeds etc and pull the pin open. Some tractors have little loops welded to the lift arms to snap the pins in when not in an implement. I find it easier to just get a set for each implement and leave them in the pins.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota B21

When I first bought my tractor, I had one extra lynch pin. After about six months, I lost one and used the extra to replace it. The next time I was at the tractor dealer's, I bought ten of them, figuring I'd never have to buy another one again. Over the next six months I used six of them. No, they didn't fall off the tractor per se, I left them laying on the tractor or implement without re-installing them. Gravity then dispersed them around the property. After the remaining four are gone, I'm only going to buy one extra. It's cheaper.
    - Dennis

Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    Kubota B21
    Polaris Ranger
    Yamaha Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Simpliest method is usually best. Use a lynch pin and some tie wire to safety wire it shut when using your tractor in overgrown brush. Keep some spare wire and wire nippers in your tractor to nip the safety wire off when unhooking and some plain old wire pliers to wire it tightly shut when installing. If you rip off the safety wire and the lynch pin, you are likely into something that you shouldn't be into in the first place.
    The "safety chains" arent really safety chains at all. They just keep you from dropping them when hooking up and unhooking. As for use in the field, the chains just grab onto weeds etc and pull the pin open. Some tractors have little loops welded to the lift arms to snap the pins in when not in an implement. I find it easier to just get a set for each implement and leave them in the pins.
    I hear you but lynch pins or bolts are cheap and if you finally have the time to use your tractor as you wish and your stuck for the lack of a sixty cent pin your weekend is trashed. Have some means to get around this recurring problem at hand when ever you want to get some work done and sooner or later it will save the day for you.
    The post is missing a handful of commas etc. but I never claimed to be an English major.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 40s

be grateful you found the problem quickly. I had my sway bar retention pin come off, the sway bar swing wide, and snap the valve stem off of the rim giving me a flat tire and spilling 50 gallons of beet juice
    Kioti DK 40S, with a Farmi and Tractor Forks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345